Author Topic: Marriage of Mark RUNHAM and Alice - where to look?  (Read 5673 times)

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Mark RUNHAM and Alice - where to look?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 April 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that *Anneb*! I notice Barnwell and Chesterton are next to each to other, so the family didn't move very far between Mark's birth and his marriage.
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Mark RUNHAM and Alice - where to look?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 June 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
Just a quick update - since I posted here and received so much help, I've been able to locate Alice's parents, Thomas GIFFORD and Elizabeth HUSSEY. I've also uncovered a bit of mystery.

I found the baptismal records for four children born to Thomas and Elizabeth, but then I found a fifth baptism for a child born to Elizabeth in 1800, but not only is Thomas not recorded as the father, there is the following note added to the register:

"wife of Thomas - now and for several years past a soldier in her Majesty's service Elizabeth GIFFORD has lived housekeeper with William APPLEBY cooper for some time who stood Godfather".

Elizabeth married William APPLEBY in 1810, and the above mentioned William Hussey used the surname Appleby, so it does appear that he was William's son. Not sure what happened to Thomas though, my next task is to locate his regiment and try to find out where he went.

Thanks again for all your help! It's wonderful to have new leads to follow with this family!
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland