Author Topic: Marriage reg chapel & district names -Help please  (Read 2640 times)

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage reg chapel & district names -Help please
« on: Thursday 24 April 14 02:00 BST (UK) »
Can someone help with the chapel and registrars district names on this marriage reg from Mullingar?
The groom’s residence was Ballymaglavy and the bride was from Sheean. I looked at a list of townlands in Mullingar and I think the name of the district looks like Ballynacargy? Is that in the vicinity of these two towns? Or is it something else?
Any help would be very much appreciated……..

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage reg chapel & district names -Help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 14 05:20 BST (UK) »
It's Ballynacarrigy.  A village/town (a.k.a. Ballynacargy) and townland within the civil parish of Kilbixy, it was also a sub district / dispensary district / registrar's district for the purposes of civil registration. You can see the reference here (edit/find / Ctrl-F on the name):

http://genealogyresearch.org.uk/IRL_RegistrationDistricts1871.pdf

If you use google maps, you'll see Ballynacarrigy on the R393 out of Mullingar, just under 10 miles WNW.  Ballymaglavy is a townland in the civil parish of Piercetown, it's close to Ballynagarrigy. There are 2 townlands called Sheean in County Westmeath, one in the civil parish of Kilcleagh about 25 miles SW of Mullingar, the other in the civil parish of Rathconrath about 20 miles WNW of Mullingar, I would guess the latter.

Not 100% sure about the church from the handwriting, but there is a St. Matthew's RC Chapel at Ballynacarrigy...

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage reg chapel & district names -Help please
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 April 14 01:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much! Appreciate your interest....