Author Topic: Hare and Hounds, Wepre, Northop.  (Read 6434 times)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hare and Hounds, Wepre, Northop.
« on: Saturday 26 April 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the death of my ancestor William Evans, born Runcorn 1813. I know he died between 1868 and 1878, he was a mariner, coastal service. Searching for his death I have sent for various death certificates, erroneously. However, I have one which may be him. Death on 28th January 1872 near Hare and Hounds, Wepre. Could anyone tell me where that was, was it near the river? He could have died whilst working. James Pendlebury was in attendance death at "near the bridge, Connahs Quay, Northop". Could anyone tell me where that bridge was, was it near the Hare and Hounds, could Evans have been taken there. James Pendlebury was also from Runcorn, so a tenuous link.
Any help at all would be very gratefully received.
Liverbird50

Offline jeffro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hare and Hounds, Wepre, Northop.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 April 14 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hello There
i live in Connah`s Quay, the Hare and Hounds is a public house on high street,the river is a five minute walk away, underneath a railway bridge.
Ashton -Silverdale Staffs    Fernyhough - Staffs
Owen   -Anglesey
Dean - Liverpool   Casserly - Liverpool
Taylor - Bilston Staffs

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 April 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jeffro. As you live in Connahs Quay do you know anything about the church St. Marks?
Are the gravestones from 1876 still there do you know? Now I have found an ancestor buried there next time I am visiting the area (I live in Hampshire) would like to try to find the grave.
Thanks for taking the time to contact me.
Liverbird50

Offline jeffro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 April 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Liverbird
St Marks church is on top of the hill ( Hare and Hounds at the bottom). The gravestones have been cleared now and the churchard is laid to lawn. But the good news is the gravestones are lined up on the back wall. If you give me your ancestors name I will have look to see if it is there.

Best Wishes
Jeff.
Owen   -Anglesey
Taylor - Bilston Staffs

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 April 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jeffro, that's a really kind and generous offer to look for a gravestone on my behalf. Wow people on this RootsChat forum are so helpful and knowledgeable, I'm blown away.
Information I have: my g.g.grandfather William Evans, buried St. Marks 31st January 1872, aged 58 years. His daughter, Sarah Ann Oldfield, age 42, buried August 1876.

Best wishes
Liverbird50'

Offline jeffro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Liverbird
As promised I went to St Marks today but unfortunately was unable to find the headstones
you want.  Some stones have  had the words rot away, some so faded impossible to read.
A few were quite hard to get to but I did. I checked everyone and can only say sorry.

best Wishes Jeff
Owen   -Anglesey
Taylor - Bilston Staffs

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeffro,
Absolutely no need to be sorry. I am very grateful for you taking such trouble on my behalf. It is what I expected. I don't know how much a headstone would cost in those days and I don't think they were a very wealthy family. Also as the burials were so long ago, inscriptions would have worn away. However, I do know they were buried there, and I think there is a garden of remembrance set up in the churchyard? So will come up and visit St Marks.
Kindest regards,
Liverbird50

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 May 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Liverbird50,

The gravestones for St Mark's, Connah's Quay have been transcribed and there is a book with these available in Flintshire Record Office, also the libraries in Connah's Quay and Mold. You may find an entry for the graves you mention.

Jo.

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 May 14 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo Harding,
Thank you so much for the information regarding graves at St Marks, Connahs Quay. I have been in touch with Flintshire Record Office at Hawarden and just received an email from them saying that they don't have any records of graves at St. Marks, so contrary to what you have been able to find out for me.
Therefore I will get back on to them, also I will contact the libraries you mention tomorrow.
I have been searching for a long time for the resting place of my g.g.grandfather, so not quite ready to give up yet! At least I now know he is buried at St. Marks. Would be good to find out exactly where and if there is a stone for him. Thanks for taking an interest in my quest, I really am very grateful for all the help I have received via RootsChat. No exaggeration to say that you people have helped me to place the final pieces to a large jigsaw puzzle.
With kind regards
Liverbird50