Author Topic: British And Foreign Sailors Society Cross 1915  (Read 4424 times)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
British And Foreign Sailors Society Cross 1915
« on: Saturday 26 April 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help explain the inscriptions on this?  It is a small copper cross dated 1915 commemorating the centenary of the Battle of Waterloo and the 110th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar.

The front of the cross bears the name of the society and the names and dates of the two battles. We're stuck, however, on the signficance of the letters "I" and "D.G"

The reverse is more problematic:  there are the names of the four main allies.

Below "Britain"  is the legend "E.R.VII" - presumably Edward VII (although he died in 1910, so I wonder why E.R.VII rather than G.R.V) clarified by Stan - many thanks!

Below "Belgium" are the letters "A.N.Z." - presumably Australia and New Zealand.

Below "Russia" are the letters "AC" and a small anchor - we're stumped as to what this might mean.

Above "France" is the legend  "I.CH.29.II" - presumably Isaiah, chapter 29, verse 2 which according to my King James Bible reads "Yet I will distress Ariel, and there shall be heaviness and sorrow: and it shall be unto me as Ariel." - the significance of this escapes me completely!

Can anyone help?

Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British And Foreign Sailors Society Cross 1915
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 April 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
A fund was set up known as 'The Nelson Centenary Memorial Fund' and the King, who took a great interest in the Society, allowed his initials, E.R. VII, to be stamped on the souvenirs. http://www.oldcopper.org/hms%20victory%20medalets.htm

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 April 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
A fund was set up known as 'The Nelson Centenary Memorial Fund' and the King, who took a great interest in the Society, allowed his initials, E.R. VII, to be stamped on the souvenirs. http://www.oldcopper.org/hms%20victory%20medalets.htm

Stan

Stan -  I am, as ever, amazed at the depth of your knowledge!  That's one of the queries answered...

Many thanks

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 April 14 14:06 BST (UK) »
A couple of suggestions:
We're stuck, however, on the signficance of the letters "I" and "D.G"

D.G. could be "Dei gratia", Latin for "By the grace of God" (which still appears on coins).

Above "France" is the legend  "I.CH.29.II" - presumably Isaiah, chapter 29, verse 2 which according to my King James Bible reads "Yet I will distress Ariel, and there shall be heaviness and sorrow: and it shall be unto me as Ariel." - the significance of this escapes me completely!

How about 1 Chronicles 29.11, which in the King James version reads:
Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.

I can't think what the others might be, but if I come up with anything I'll post again.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 April 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
A couple of suggestions:
We're stuck, however, on the signficance of the letters "I" and "D.G"

D.G. could be "Dei gratia", Latin for "By the grace of God" (which still appears on coins).

How about 1 Chronicles 29.11, which in the King James version reads:
Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.

I can't think what the others might be, but if I come up with anything I'll post again.

Arthur

Many thanks Arthur - why didn't I think of Deo Gratias??   And 1 Chronicles 29.11 makes far more sense. 

Cati

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 April 14 16:57 BST (UK) »