Author Topic: Huntingdonshire Parish Records  (Read 10458 times)

Offline kithra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huntingdonshire Parish Records
« on: Saturday 26 April 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there are any Huntingdonshire Parish Records available either online or on CD? I already have those for BMDs for Upwood, St. Peter's Church Parish Registers 1700-1950 (http://s249111472.websitehome.co.uk/History/Parish%20Registers.htm).

What I'm searching for are any from pre-1841 (the first real census), but I'm not asking for a "LookUp" as I'm not sure exactly what area I need to check. And, I think I might need to check all of the parishes in Huntingdonshire prior to that date! So, really, I think that having a library I can refer to as I need to is the best way to go.

I've searched Google, and I also belong to Ancestry, but I can't afford to take out any more subscriptions. So my preference would be to buy CDs, but online would also be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Gowler, Randall, Sinclair

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline kithra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Huntingdonshire Parish Records
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 April 14 15:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, I'll take a look there tomorrow. I can't check it today as I'm about to Skype my cousin in Spain, so no time left for now. And, I'll log in again tomorrow as well in case there are any more ideas.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 April 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hunts is not well represented on the IGI at www.familysearch.org as the LDS was refused permission to film many parish registers. The BVRI, which covers some parishes not on the IGI, can now be found on Ancestry  as England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 and England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 but there are still many gaps. Transcripts available from Hunts FHS can be found at http://www.huntsfhs.org.uk/Pubs.html . Hunts FHS Marriage Index covers the whole of the county but there is no comparable baptism index. You'll find that after the IGI, the BVRI and Hunts FHS transcripts there are still many parishes where you can only access baptisms by consulting the parish registers at Huntingdon Archives, or by paying for their research service if you can't get to Huntingdon.

Despite being small, Hunts isn't the easiest county to research

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 April 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
http://freereg.rootsweb.com/

has some Huntingdonshire transcriptions, so it might be worth a look. 

And if Upwood is of any interest to you, there are transcripts here:

http://s249111472.websitehome.co.uk/History/Parish%20Registers.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kithra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 April 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, David,

I did check the IGI, and also the publications at Hunts FHS. It’s such a shame that LDS wasn’t allowed to do the transcriptions. I’ve checked Ancestry using many different ways of searching, and come up with nothing. However, I’ll check again to see if anything new has turned up. I also had an email correspondence with an Archivist at Hunts FHS who kindly looked at his records for me. Again, there was nothing found.

And thanks, Galium. I already noted the Upwood records in my original post. I also checked out the FreeReg site quite a while ago.

I do so hate having a brick wall, and no siblings of the person I’m looking for, which can sometimes turn up information. As a last resort I’ve just written to some of the newspapers in the area I’m researching in the hopes that someone might have some useful information. If they do I’ll post it here in case it helps somebody else.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 April 14 17:41 BST (UK) »
I know it was just a general query on what's available, but why not try a posting on the Huntingdonshire board with names and dates? You'd be surprised at how many brick walls get demolished when the poster doesn't know the area they need to check.

You could also check Huntingdon Archives online catalogue at http://calm.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/CalmView/How.aspx

Is this the Sinclair from Upton family that you posted about a year ago? You never did get back to us!

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline kithra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 April 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Yes, I'm still trying to find that Sinclair info, and sorry for not getting back to you about a year ago. Life suddenly got very complicated for a while back then and it just went out of my mind.

I still don't know if the Sinclairs were really in Upwood prior to 1788 so I thought that maybe a search of all the local parish records might turn up something.

And thanks for the Calm link, I'd already found that one and there's nothing there I'm afraid. But it's a very interesting site when it comes to some of the other names in my tree.

I'm starting to think that there are no longer any web links that I haven't already tried, LOL. However, I'm still grateful for any that are posted, just in case they're new to me.

Offline kithra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 May 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
As David mentioned, a year ago I was trying to find my Sinclair ancestors:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=643443.msg4903259#msg4903259

And you told me about a William Sinclair burried in Yaxley (near Upwood) in 1808, which you suggested I research.

While looking for records (which I found) to do with my grandmother's brother Arthur Sinclair (1899-1969) I also did some checking with my half-sister. She told me that, after the war (WW1), their other brother, Harry Sinclair (1896-1933) went to work in the brickyards in Yaxley. So maybe there's a connection. She also suggested that Norfolk might be a good lead, so I've a lot more researching to do now.

This time, if I do find anything, I'll let you all know.

Liz