Author Topic: IRELAND: Family mystery!!  (Read 11017 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: IRELAND: Family mystery!!
« Reply #63 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:29 BST (UK) »
This is the latest update to my original query and it's even more complicated now. I have Kathleen Fanning's birth cert which was issued in 1943. It gives her parents names as James Fanning (a printer) and Esther nee Wigmore and her date of birth as 11th November 1899 but there is no birth name on the certificate which links in with a record I found many years ago while searching the birth records for Dublin.

Recently I looked at the 1901 and 1911 Irish censuses and found on the 1901 what could be Esther age 21 and Kathleen age 1 year and 4 months living in Summerhill, Mountjoy, Dublin. The census however states Esther and Kathleen are the daughters of Thomas Fanning age 60 a bootmaker. Neither are on the 1911 so I looked for Esther's death and sent for the death cert which arrived this morning. Esther died from Phthisis on the 4th April 1901 and it's the same address. It states she was in the workhouse/hospital for 8 days and the informant is an inmate of the workhouse. It also says she was a spinster.

Thomas Fanning isn't on the 1911 and neither is Kathleen so now I'm back to square one. Is this the same Esther Fanning and Kathleen Fanning that I've been looking for or the names are just a coincidence?
Margaret