Author Topic: Alexander Anderson b.1792, Clyne.Looking for death record in Sorn Parish.  (Read 10034 times)

Offline jaxoncanine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello all,
Writing from NY/USA trying to find a death/cemetery record for my ggggrandfather..Research has dead ended with Him..Searched extensively on SP and Ancestry...Info is as follows:
Alexander Anderson b.1792 in Clyne, Sutherlandshire, parents unk.
Married Marion Mckay b. May,15,1804 in Dornoch, Southerland, Scotland on May,21,1825 in Dornoch.
Moved to Sorn Parish..I have the family in there in Glenlogan through the 1851 census, Family as follows;
Margaret b.1826, William b.1827 (My GGGF), Alexander b.1829, John b.1831, Jean b.1833, George b.1835, Agnes b.1841, Marion b.1843, Mary Anne Elizabeth b.1847.

I'm pretty sure that all the children except Jean and Agnes immigrated to the Canada or Australia.

I am looking for anything on Alexander and Marion Mckay that will help me continue my search, I really need death or burial records, and as I have said, I am at a dead end.
Any help, suggestions, or psychic advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Keith Anderson, NY/USA.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Anderson b.1792, Clyne.Looking for death record in Sorn Parish.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Welcome to Rootschat :)
I take it that as well as finding out dates of death and burial locations you are hoping that these will give you Alexander and Marion's parents names and take you back another generation. If Alexander and Marion died pre-1855 there is a chance that there might not be a record and if there is it might give you little information - but you probably know that already.
Have you found any of the children on the 1861?

Looby :)

Offline jaxoncanine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Yes I am looking for the parentage of Alexander and or Marion....I have found nothing on the children past the 1851 census, except for the 5 that immigrated out....Two of them are also conducting searches but they are stuck at the same place as I am.....

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Did oldest daughter Margaret marry a man called Parker Hoyle?

Offline jaxoncanine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby,
She is one of the ones that I do not have info on....
She is in the 1851 Census with all her sibs...
Shows age and place of birth (Tarlburton)...
I always assumed that she immigrated to Canada (Brant Ontario), with my GGGGfather..But I could not find her there.
Thanks
Jax

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jax,
I think this could be the marriage of Margaret Anderson to Parker Hoyle - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT2J-BQ9
Parker Hoyle is on the 1851 in Sorn -a 31 year old Ironstone miner born in England.
Perhaps she did emigrate or maybe her family did. I certainly couldn't see Margaret (her place of birth is Tarbolton, Ayrshire incidentally) or her husband on the 1861 Census - of course the name could be badly mistranscribed or they could be dead. But I did find this which may suggest they did emigrate.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NSXN-TT5

Of course none of this helps locate Alexander or Marion Anderson's origins. You have quoted quite a specific date of birth for Marion McKay - 15th May 1804 at Dornoch. How did you come by that date? That date of birth relates to this birth - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X18P-NRH -
a Marion McKay born to an Alexander McKay and Jean Murray. But there are several Marion McKay births in the Dornoch area at this time  :-\
Looking at the list of children's names on the Census and assuming no-one had died - If Alexander and Marion had followed the "traditional Scottish naming pattern" - one would expect-
Margaret ( Mother's mother's name)
William ( Father's father's name)
Alexander (Mother's father's name)
Jean (Father's mother's name)
The third son and daughter were usually called after their parents if the name had not already been used. Marion has called her fourth daughter Marion  :-\. Of course although many folk used this naming pattern not everyone did!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Split my post in case it was to long ;D
What I did find interesting looking at Family Search records on the family was that the family had a mass christening on 30th July 1839 with seven children all being baptized, including an Agnes Caldow Anderson born 2nd June 1838. This child must have died young as next daughter Agnes is  born 4th Jan 1841.
I had hoped the middle name Caldow might be a helpful clue to a grandmother or other relative but tend to think this child was called after a friend :-\ There is an Agnes Caldew in Sorn in 1841.

Have you looked at the original Old Parish Record entry for this family christening? There might be no extra info but you never know!

Offline jaxoncanine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:08 BST (UK) »
Wow, Thanks Looby.
If Margaret and William immigrated to USA, and ended up in Tennessee, I will find them.
William and his family moved from Brant Ontario to Tennessee around 1860.
I have found other family members who can do the footwork in Tennessee to help confirm this.
The naming pattern looks legit, but my GGG-Grandfather apparently quit using it as my USA Andersons did not use it..Do you have a citation for the Mass Christening?
In any event, I'll burn some credits on SP this weekend and hopefully tie up some loose ends.
If anybody in the group has any suggestions on where to look for Cemetery Records for someone who deceased as a Presbyterian in Glenlogan, Sorn parish might be buried, I would be grateful..My Cemetery database web-search was not fruitful..The Agnes Caldow connection may be my next big clue...Interesting note, I located most of the males working at the Glenlogan Iron mine from the Scottish Post Office Directory for Ayshire 1851-52....My next move is to update my Ancestry.Com Gedcom file and hopefully I can find someone who has a family member who has more data..

Offline jaxoncanine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Looby, I hit this broken tree root early last year and quit searching...Finding the Postal directory almost accidentally renewed my interest..If I was younger and in better shape I would take a leap over the pond to see my "root-Land" and search Cemetery and Church records....Maybe find a will or other legal citation..You help has been greatly appreciated.
Jaxon