Author Topic: William Bruce - Cape of Good Hope 1861  (Read 1917 times)

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Bruce - Cape of Good Hope 1861
« on: Friday 02 May 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
I have recently received a copy of my gt gt grandfathers will William Rush Bruce and it states that his son William Bruce is now IN the cape of good hope...no further details, apart from his share of the estate is to be held in a bank in England to await his return.  The will was written in 1861 so his son is already out there.  Has anybody got any ideas as to what he could be doing out there? The son William bruce was born in 1820 in Hintlesham Suffolk and I have found his birth details but nothing more on any of the census's.  Any idea's regards hotrodpansy

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Bruce - Cape of Good Hope 1861
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 May 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi about young Williams birth year. There is a marriage of Wm Rush Bruce but not until 1824 to Maria Reeve. Perhaps a 2nd marriage?
There is also a will for a William Rush Bruce made in 1870 death place Suffolk.
Cheers
Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 May 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina....William Bruce was born in 1820 in Hintlesham Suffolk to William Rush Bruce & Elizabeth Finch, who died and then he remarried Maria Reeve.  I have a copy of his will and it states that William (son)  is in the cape of good hope.  Regards hotrodpansy

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 May 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Although I have not managed to find out when or why he came out to South Africa I found that he was based in Kingwilliamstown where he had married and had the following two children (at least).  They were baptised in the Methodist Church.  Kingwilliamstown was only proclaimed a town in 1877, so I wonder if he was not perhaps a farmer.

Eleanor Jane BRUCE
Parents: William Rush and Dorcas
Born: 6/1/1874
Baptized: 8/31/1874

James Joseph BRUCE
Parents: William Rush and Dorcas
Born: 1/27/1876
Baptized: 3/19/1876

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 May 14 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Nookie, Thanks for taking the time to look.  I really would like to think that this could be my William Bruce but I have a feeling that its not, because it doesnt say in the will that he has a middle name of Rush (His father was William Rush Bruce but he died in 1870) I also found his birth on the select births on Ancestry, this lists his name as just William Bruce, but then again I am looking at it now and it doesnt give his fathers middle name of Rush either?  I would have thought that his father, when he made the will would have given his full name, baring in mind that it was an important document he was making.

So, there is a small chance that it could be, esp the "rush" as the middle name.  Can you poss find out anymore? regards hot rod pansy

ps.....Do we know what happened to the family?

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 May 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if he 'adopted' the second name of Rush as it is such an unusual name.  I didn't look any further into the family but will do so and see if I can find what happened to them.  My fingers were obviously feeling very lazy as I really should have said King Williams Town as three words :( 

There were a number of William Bruce's at the archives, but none with the name Rush.  I do know from looking at various wills that they often leave out full names and misspell others.  Of course nowadays that would be thrown out, but it didn't seem as important then.

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 May 14 19:46 BST (UK) »

I have managed to find the following for Dorcas.  Not sure why she was a "lunatic" but know that one of my g/aunts was also classed as one here although she was an alcoholic - not crazy!  The death notice should possibly give you more information regarding the children and maybe her maiden name and the names of her parents. 

DEPOT     KAB                                             
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/484                                                               
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 3138                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          BRUCE, DORCAS. DEATH NOTICE.                                         
STARTING  19030000                                                             
ENDING    19030000

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    CSC                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 2/6/1/199                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 441                                                                   
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MOTION. IN THE MATTER OF DORCAS BRUCE, A LUNATIC.                     
STARTING  19000000                                                             
ENDING    19000000 

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 May 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Nookie...thinking about what you have said and yes there is a chance that he adopted the middle name because his father had it and was his grandmothers maiden name and I agree, it is unusual.  I had a quick look on wiki at Kings William Town and the history says that there was a barracks there, Im wondering if William was  a soldier?....I have tried to find passenger lists for the Cape of good hope with a range of 1835 onwards but not had much luck.....also do you know if the troops were sent there from here, where would the records be??  This William Bruce has been a mystery for years.....would be lovely to get to the bottom of it and thanks again, for all your help.  Looking forward to your reply....regards hotrodpansy

ps....just seen your reply....are you subscribing to a special site for this info?
also where do i go to find her death notice? and is there any indication of the year?

Offline ernchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 April 21 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Nookie, my grandmother was the granddaughter of William Rush Bruce of Post Retief. I also saw the burial records of a William Bruce that could match William Rush Bruce that was buried in the Maitland cemetery 1894. This could indicate that he moved to Cape Town when his wife was admitted to Falkenberg in what appears to have been dementia (Alzeimer's) and eventually died in 1903 at age 67. Were you able to confirm date of death for William Rush Bruce and that he was the son of William Rush Bruce of Hintlesham and that he was born in 1820? Appreciated.