Author Topic: Re: Old Barracks Fermoy, Cork, Ireland.  (Read 3294 times)

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Barracks Fermoy, Cork, Ireland.
« on: Saturday 03 May 14 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, is it possible to find my grandfathers war records? His name was Thomas Whelan, I think he came from Dublin. He married my grandmother in 1906 in Glanworth, Cork. He was stationed at Fermoy at the time.  I was told he fought in WW1 and he may have been a prisoner of war. Apart from that I know very little. Any help would be much appreciated. Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Old Barracks Fermoy, Cork, Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 May 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara

Doesn't the marriage certificate give his regiment?

You can also try Ancestry for a service record, 'pension' record or his medal card. Although there is likely to be a number of men with that name on the medal roll.

Ken

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 May 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, thanks for your reply.  I only have a certificate which was taken from the church book by the priest, and gives scant information, only witnesses and couple. Thank you, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 May 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara

You should apply for the marriage certificate from the Irish GRO in Roscommon. They only charge €4 for the information on plain paper.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

It seems you can apply online now.

Ken

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, sorry for delay, couldn't seem to get on-line to Rootschat yesterday? Thanks very much for the information, I will get a marriage certificate, might show the information I need.   Thanks again, Sara.