Author Topic: William Dillwyn Janson & Ada Thornhill - where were they in 1861 Census?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

This is a very difficult one I fear [well it has been so to me so far]. William was the son of Quaker parents Alfred & Sarah Musgrave Janson.  I am trying to locate:

* any background information on William Dillwyn Janson [1828 - 1876] as an adult, &
* details related to his wife Ada Thornhill [? to ?]

William died aged 48 years and I know he:
* was listed with his parents in the 1841 & 1851 Census at  The Cedars, Hoe Street Walthamstow, Essex, -  HO107/1769/327 p 49
* in the 1851 Census his occupation was given as 'assistant to his father' and his father was an underwriter for Lloyds Bank.  It is said he was unmarried.
* I cannot locate him for the 1861 census and I think this is probably a critical one
* I located his father, Alfred in 1861 but William is not with him nor his sister Ellen
* in 1871 William is listed in the Census as a visitor at Parsons Mill, Martock, Somerset with George Parsons -  RG10/2414/ 33 p 15
* William died in 1876 at Garsdon Rectory, Wiltshire.  I have no idea why he was there nor with whom...
* Williams daughter Ada was born in 1855 at Upton Cum Chalvey, Buckingham and died in 1858 at St. Mary Parish, Dover, Kent
* I have been unable to locate where William was married nor any details related to his wife Ada now when she died although it seems to have been before 1871.  Free BDM does not appear to have any record to Ada's death.  It is said that Ada's father was Capt. Thornhill but that is the sum total of what I know of her.  ???

Any assistance gratefully accepted

Westy11

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Dillwyn Janson & Ada Thornhill - where were they in 1861 Census?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 07:11 BST (UK) »
There is an Ada Thornhill baptised at St Giles, Camberwell on 6th August 1834 to Robert and Charlotte Eliza Thornhill. States that Ada was born at sea on 20th October 1831.

1841 Census there is an Ada Thornhill age 9, not born of this county registered as a pupil at Balham Hill, Streatham, Surrey, maybe she's boarding if her parents are back at sea.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hello sgf28

That sounds promising.  Will eagerly await to see of this Ada an be tracked further?  I will try and find the person you mention as well.

Westy11 :)

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 07:26 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has record of marriage of Ada Thornhill to William Dellwyn Janson on 1st December 1853 in Bern, Switzerland :)

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 07:35 BST (UK) »
Looks like there maybe another child born to Robert and Charlotte: Charlotte Jane Eliza Thornhill, born 25th March 1835, baptised St Giles Camberwell 29th April 1835.

Possible marriage for Robert Thornhill to Charlotte Eliza Adams on 15th December 1825 in Calcutta, Bengal, India.

Details on Familysearch.

If this is your family, no wonder there are difficulties tracking them, they move around a lot :)

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 07:38 BST (UK) »
There's this Robert Thornhill, age 48, born 1803, Thornville, Barbados, picking up his UK/Ireland Master and Mate certificate:

Issue Date:    25 Oct 1851
Issue Port:    London
Certificate Number:    387

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
sgf28

You are a veritable powerhouse......  ;D

Where did you locate the 1803 record for Robert?

Westy11

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
The 1803 record for Robert is on Anc

There is also a baptism of Emily Amber Frances Thornhill on 27 Apr 1844 at Holborn St Giles in the Fields with parents listed as Robert and Charlotte Eliza Thornhill.  Robert is listed a gentleman and they were living at 8 South Crescent,  Bedford Sq?

Kay

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
Kay99

You have gone beyond my expectation and presented me with the possibility of 2 members of the family.  :) I will also attempt to locate Robert's 1803 record.

I still hold out hope someone will be able to find a marriage record for William and Ada that will tie these aspects together. :D

Westy11