Author Topic: Tracing the marriage of George Rogers  (Read 3754 times)

Offline davef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing the marriage of George Rogers
« on: Tuesday 06 May 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, although I'm a beginner at this research I've managed to solve most problems other than the following, which focuses on Selattyn and Whittington in N Shropshire.

My ancestor George Rogers was born 1829 or thereabouts in Selattyn. I know he married a Sarah, either in Selattyn or (more likely) in Whittington, probably early to mid-1850s (children followed from 1858). In 1851 they appear to be living in Whittington - children start to be born there - and are certainly living with his parents in Pantglas (Selattyn) by 1861 BUT I can't locate a marriage record so I can find Sarah's maiden name for further research.

Selattyn Parish Church records go only to 1837; Whittington to about 1812; Ancestry.co.uk and Findmypast.co.uk searches have proved fruitless. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the marriage of George Rogers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Have you invested in a birth cert for one of the children which should give her maiden name?

There's this birth

Dec 1859
Rogers, Nathaniel,  Oswestry    6a   637

and this possible marriage if the birth cert shows her surname to be Nicholas

Mar 1851
Rogers, George,  Oswestry    18   167

They may have married in the register office so you won't find an entry in the parish registers currently online.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Since the 1851 census shows a 'Sarah Nicholas' aged 3 listed after George and Sarah looks like the 1851 marriage is the one i.e. to Sarah Nicholas.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
The Sarah Nicholas could well be correct.There is a Sarah Nicholas given as born in c 1835 and living in Whittington Shropshire in 1841.George's wife Sarah is given as born in c 1834 in Whittington in the 1861 Census.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 00:22 BST (UK) »
The page range for Oswestry marriages Mar 1851 is 159-180 so a marriage on page 167 is towards the earlier numbers where the Anglican marriages are rather than  he later numbers which are registrar attended/register office marriages.

So

1st Feb 1851 in the parish of St Martins, George Rogers, 21, bachelor, Carpenter, father Edward Rogers Carpenter, married Sarah Nicholas, also 21, spinster, no father shown on cert. Witnesses John Rogers and Jane Jones.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Looking again at the Census entries for Sarah in 1841 and 1851 the Jane Rogers showing as married to Richard in 1851 could well be Sarah's mother.There is a probable marriage of a Jane Nicholas and Richard Rogers at Oswestry in 1849.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline davef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone. This is tremendous help and has put me in a position to take the research further.

Thanks again.  :)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone. This is tremendous help and has put me in a position to take the research further.

Thanks again.  :)

Can I ask whether you have access to Ancestry?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline davef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do. I had searched high and low on Ancestry, also Dusty Docs and Findmypast websites plus Shropshire parish registers. I have used Ancestry as my main database and have the relevant census records stored from this site, though I have struggled more with birth and marriage dates - for example, I still haven't managed to trace the precise birth date for George Rogers

I had of course overlooked (through a combination of naivety and inexperience) the solutions identified in this thread!

Kind regards