Author Topic: Smythe and Keane or variants - Lucan farming family  (Read 2844 times)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Smythe and Keane or variants - Lucan farming family
« on: Wednesday 07 May 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all I have recently received a copy of my great grandmother's marriage certificate.  Her name was Annie Helena Smythe, daughter of Philip Smythe and Mary Keane.  Philip is listed as a farmer on Annie's marriage certificate.  Annie was married in the Catholic Church in Cooktown Australia in May 1883 to James Whiteford.  She is noted as being 21, giving her a birth year around 1862.  However, her headstone in 1938 indicates she was 79 years old making her birth year around 1859.

I'm really keen to make contact with anyone knowing of this family.  I would also be interested in any information about farming families in the Lucan area in the early to mid 1800s.

Thanks all for any advice.

Anne

Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smythe and Keane or variants - Lucan farming family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 13:47 BST (UK) »
Old thread on the same topic from 2007 perhaps even you!

Where did Annie’s mother’s maiden name come from as Mary KEANE?
There is a family tree on line that shows Annie’s mother as Catherine KEANE?
The previously mentioned topic states HARRIS for which there does seem to be records:
This is the very close baptismal match except for mother’s name from 1858
Marriage for Philip SMYTH and Mary HARRIS in 1854 unfortunately the register is not scanned as yet

There are two court records in 1854 and 1857 that refer to a Philip Smyth of Lucan but give no great details of his occupation or family

There is no Philip Smyth(e) shown in Lucan on the Griffiths Valuations from the mid 1800s but there is in North Dublin; it may be that he had no tenancy
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder