Author Topic: Saunders/Moore. Emigrated from Ireland to New Zealand about 1900.  (Read 6909 times)

Offline oliffe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saunders/Moore. Emigrated from Ireland to New Zealand about 1900.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 24 July 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this of any importance, but I looked at the 1901 Census and saw that Edward and Mary had 10 children, but by following the link for the 1911 Census Mary is there (no husband) with six of the children (Clara, Annie, Patrick and Thomas are not there).
However I then did a search for Clara Moore in the 1911 Census and one showing as 24 is living at 19 Antrim Road, Clifton, Antrim; she is said to be the head of the house, and with her is sister Annie aged 22, brother Thomas (14) and a boarder. 
Is it too much of a coincidence that they are missing from the family, but three of the four with ages that could relate are all in one place together?
So perhaps Clara did not come to NZ about 1900.
I am sure this Clara is not of our family (Saunders) but was just intrigued to see if I could help solve the riddle.  Hope someone can find her marriage or more details of her existence.

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 24 July 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know how the year of 1900 crept in ??? I did know about the census returns and Clara probably living in Antrim. All the information we had about Clara and NZ was "third - hand" - although reliable. The source is no longer with us, so we can't check out anything now.
Good luck with your own research.
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 12 May 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for descendants of Clara Moore and her husband X Saunders. Clara was born in Rathfriland, Co Down ,Ireland, in 1884. Either before or after her marriage to X Saunders, she emigrated to New Zealand. Anyone any ideas?  :)

Hi Clive

It seems possibly there was "not much joy" in finding "answers" regarding this search back in 2014 ???   
[I've only skimmed over replies posted here - so if I've missed something important, then my apologies are offered in advance.   ;)   ]

However when I was looking for information relating to your latest query (Sylvia WILLIAMS in NZ), I happened upon this older thread .... and so extended my searching.

Edited to add - link to thread on NZ board re: Sylvia WILLIAMS

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793172.0

--------

Your Clara MOORE actually emigrated to New South Wales, Australia, in 1913 (rather than coming directly to New Zealand, and that will be the reason that no listing was found for her amongst the passenger / immigration lists, pertaining to NZ.  )   
So here she is  (and there's a "romantic touch" to follow) > >

Vessel :  "ORAMA"  (Orient Line) - departed London, 6 June 1913 for Australia (various ports).

#  109 :   MOORE - Clara - 27 years (bc 1886)  - dressmaker
Country of last permanent residence :  Ireland
Contracted to land at - Sydney (NSW)  :    3rd Class Passenger

continues next   > >
    ~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 12 May 18 02:22 BST (UK) »
Clara MOORE -- continued

Australia - Marriage Index
#  5174
Clara J. MOORE
Charles J. SANDERS
Year :   1914 
Registered at Sydney, NSW, Australia

------
... a shipboard romance perhaps ?      Also travelling on the "ORAMA" voyage to Australian ports in 1913, was >

#  131   (3rd Class)

SANDERS - Chas. - 24 years [bc 1889 ] - Occupation:  Chemist
Country of last permanent residence :  England
Contracted to land at  (port of ) -  Brisbane, (Queensland, Australia)

-----

Results from later NZ records show that Clara was more commonly known as "Clare Josephine" SANDERS and her husband was Charles James SANDERS, whose occupation for the most part, was given as "an industrial or analytical chemist".
At an unknown date they moved from Australia to Christchurch, (South Island) New Zealand, where their first son, Charles, was born in 1915.

[ Charles James SANDERS was born on 27 May 1889 at St. Helen's, Lancashire- the son of William SANDERS, a schoolmaster, and his (first wife) Martha Elizabeth (nee COOK - married 1884).  Martha SANDERS died in 1889 aged 26 years (possibly in childbirth ?) and in 1890 his father William, married Janet Frances HEDLEY a schoolmistress.  Charles was living in Lancs. with his father, stepmother and two older sisters in 1911.
 {Info sources from - UK census / Baptism - C of E - Parish of Parr, Lancs. / Free BMD }  ]

~    Lu
                                                                   more to follow  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 12 May 18 03:20 BST (UK) »
New Zealand Birth Index (online)

1915 - SANDERS - Charles Edward
Parents :  Clare Josephine and Charles James

1916 - SANDERS - William Joseph
Parents :   Clara Josephine and Charles James

-----

Not yet listed on the online version of NZ Birth Index, but known to have been children of Clare (or Clara) Josephine and Charles James SANDERS > >

1919 - SANDERS - Mary Sylvia
[Date of birth shown on her death registration listing = 25 June 1919 ]

c. 1925 - SANDERS - Kevin Patrick
[With other siblings, he  is named in the death notices of his parents and sister, Sylvia.    Also appears in the 1969 Western Hutt (Wellington) electoral roll, resident at 8 Akatea Street, Korokoro along with his sister Mary Sylvia WILLIAMS and his father, Charles James SANDERS.     
Kevin Patrick SANDERS was a Medical Practitioner - a graduate of both Canterbury (NZ) and Otago (NZ) Universities -- 1950 - MSc.  and 1957 - MC Ch. B ... he died at Wellington in 1970 aged 45, his death doesn't appear to have been noted in Wellington newspapers.  Seems not to have married.  ]

~  Lu
                                                                   more to follow   > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 12 May 18 04:10 BST (UK) »
Clara MOORE (Clare Josephine SANDERS -- family) ... continued

It was possibly following the death of Sylvia's husband in 1962 that her parents Charles and Clare (Clara) moved from Christchurch to Wellington ?   
Both Charles James SANDERS (retired) and his son (Sylvia's younger brother) Kevin Patrick SANDERS (Medical Practitioner) are shown on the 1969 Western Hutt (Wellington) electoral roll as residing at 8 Akatea Road, Korokoro.   Sadly, Clare had died in 1969 (3rd January) and was buried at the Taita Lawn Cemetery, in the suburb of Lower Hutt.
Her son, Kevin Patrick SANDERS,  passed away on 8 January 1970 - aged 45 years.

Charles James SANDERS - 93 Years - died on 22 March 1983.

Charles and son Kevin, are also buried at the Taita Lawn Cemetery.
http://cemeteriesonline.huttcity.govt.nz/RG1DeceasedSearch/HCCDeceasedSearch.aspx

~  Lu
                                                                       more to follow   > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 12 May 18 05:22 BST (UK) »
SANDERS family - records for  :

Archives New Zealand hold the following records relating to the SANDERS family >

https://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=24778498

This ^ file (Probate) is for Charles James SANDERS who died in 1983.   I notice that the year range though is 1971 to 1983 so it may be that it's contents include some detail of the Estate of his late son, Kevin Patrick SANDERS - died 1970 ??
There didn't appear to be a Probate record for Clare Josephine SANDERS.

NZ Probate records (which include Letters of Administration files) have an index at the FamilySearch website.   The process of photographing these and making them available for viewing online, is ongoing - unfortunately though it may be a while before files dated 1970's - 1980's are photographed and added.  [Archives NZ charge the exorbitant fee of $NZ50 if you order a record directly from them.   DON'T.   ;D    If a record is considered to be of importance, it's' far better to place a request on the NZ RootsChat board for a lookup at Archives.   Often a kindly soul is visiting there and may offer to photograph  or transcribe files for you. ]

Archives New Zealand link to access "Archway" site >
https://archway.archives.govt.nz/

There are also Inquest and Coroner's files for Kevin Patrick SANDERS - 1970 and a Probate file for Charles Edward SANDERS - 2002 (input names to Archives search box to bring up record details).

[These files of course may be of no interest to you - just adding details to let you know what's available. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 12 May 18 06:13 BST (UK) »
SANDERS family :

Burial at Eastern Cemetery, Invercargill - William Joseph SANDERS  [and his wife Catherine Maureen (known as Maureen) ]

Headstone photo and details at following link >

https://icc.govt.nz/cemetery-result/?id=62018

~ Lu