Author Topic: James Manfield, Ballyglavin, Ardmagh, Cork  (Read 3935 times)

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Manfield, Ballyglavin, Ardmagh, Cork
« on: Thursday 08 May 14 02:55 BST (UK) »
Note:  There is a James Mansfield and a Thomas Murphy who are listed next to each other in the Ballyglavin, Ireland, Tithe Book 1823-1837

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587398/004587398_00206.pdf

I am trying to find out if he may be the father of Ellen/Helen Mansfield born between 1821-23 in Ballyglavin, parish of Ardagh, Cork, Ireland.  If anybody has any information on the Mansfield families of the parish of Ardagh, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Thank you.

Offline Dulaigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Manfield, Ballyglavin, Ardmagh, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 May 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Try Clashmore (I think that is the name) for Mansfields.

Offline Jan O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am descended from James Mansfield - brother of Ellen Mansfield Costin of PEI.  James, my maternal 2nd great grandfather came to Abington and Rockland MA, US from Ballyglavin.  I discovered the existence of Ellen and a brother Thomas from an ad James placed in the "Missing Friends" column of the Boston Pilot, posted May 22, 1875.
James' death record (9/12/1881) confirms his father's name was James and mother Mary. 
following is my transcription -
OF THOMAS and ELLEN MANSFIELD, of Ballyglavin, parish of Ardagh, county Cork, who sailed from Youghal about 34 years ago, and landed in Charlottown, Prince Edward Island.  Thomas left for the States about a year after landing, and Ellen married a man named Michael Costin; when last heard from Thomas was in Iowa, and Ellen was near Halifax, Nova Scotia, at a place called Pettigodock. Information concerning their whereabouts will be received by their brother, James Mansfield, Rockland, Massachusetts.

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Wow, what a great surprise, I didn't think we would ever find Ellen's parentage.  I guess you and I would be distant cousins through our shared Mansfield ancestors.  Ellen would be my 2nd great grandmother as my line would go Ellen Mansfield/her daughter, Mary Ann Costin/Katherine Adams/Emily MacAusland. The Costin family lineage is posted on the islandregister.com website under the lineage section.

We were in Ireland last August but sadly we didn't get to tour Cork but just skirted the edges of it on our bus tour.  The majority of my Irish ancestors come from Cork, so I was disappointed in not being able to see it.  There were other Mansfield or Mansell family living in Tignish area, where James Costin and Ellen Mansfield settled.  They moved from the Vernon River area to the Palmer Road area near Tignish.  I really appreciate your reply and once I get my Family Tree file opened, I will explore the other Mansfields on PEI.  Thank you so very much for providing that information to me.  Ellen (Mansfield) Costin's will is also posted on the islandregister.com website as well.  You can contact me at  (*)  if you would like to exchange further family information.

Bye for now,
Mary Cudmore

Hello,

I am descended from James Mansfield - brother of Ellen Mansfield Costin of PEI.  James, my maternal 2nd great grandfather came to Abington and Rockland MA, US from Ballyglavin.  I discovered the existence of Ellen and a brother Thomas from an ad James placed in the "Missing Friends" column of the Boston Pilot, posted May 22, 1875.
James' death record (9/12/1881) confirms his father's name was James and mother Mary. 
following is my transcription -
OF THOMAS and ELLEN MANSFIELD, of Ballyglavin, parish of Ardagh, county Cork, who sailed from Youghal about 34 years ago, and landed in Charlottown, Prince Edward Island.  Thomas left for the States about a year after landing, and Ellen married a man named Michael Costin; when last heard from Thomas was in Iowa, and Ellen was near Halifax, Nova Scotia, at a place called Pettigodock. Information concerning their whereabouts will be received by their brother, James Mansfield, Rockland, Massachusetts.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Jan O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 16 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Very cool. If I got the list straight, we'd be 4th cousins.   Ellen's brother James ( b. 1 AUG 1830 - a bit younger than Ellen) was father to James who was father to Frederick Allen who was father to my mother Ann Marie Mansfield.  I have a subscription to Ancestry and did find Ellen's will on that site.  I reached out to the poster but got no response.  The moderator removed your email address before I could get it.  I will follow the instruction and PM you with my email address - as soon as I figure it out :)

Jan O'Neil

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 16 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Was this family RC?
Found a baptism for a James, father James Mansfield mother Mary Lain (I think)
But it's 10 Sept 1829
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634264#page/8/mode/1up

Offline Jan O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes - RC.   I got his DOB from his Naturalization record index - that aside - I would not be surprised if you had the right one.  The geography is right.  I did find it with your link but in November instead of September.  My guess is Mom's name is Lane.  Nice work!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 16 23:09 GMT (UK) »
November of course, don't know where I got September from.
Yes Lane males more sense, his n is terrible more like a u.

There is a William Mansfield halving children around the same time, might be related.

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jan:  I tried to send you a PM message on this forum but it doesn't seem to be working.  If you can send me one, let's see if that works. Let's try and break the code.

Take care,
Your coz from PEI