Author Topic: Transvaal Scottish Regiment during WWII.  (Read 10207 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Transvaal Scottish Regiment during WWII.
« on: Thursday 08 May 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more info on the Transvaal Scottish Regiment during WWII. My Uncle was a member and he fought in Egypt. I have found out that the regiment had three battalions. I have no idea how it works? My Uncle spoke about staying in Cairo and men from there sent out into the desert to fight. What battalion went where? how does Sollum fit in and Tobruk? And how do I go about finding out where my Uncle fought? and what battalion he was in?

I have attached some of his photos of soldiers, maybe someone will recognize a relative. 
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Transvaal Scottish Regiment during WWII.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 May 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Here is some more photo's
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
If you google Transvaal Scottish Regimental Association there is a tab of the left which says history.  Clicking on this will give you quite a bit of the history of what they did in the Second World War.

I am sure you could also contact the secretary mentioned on the site for more information.

Hope this helps.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 14 19:04 BST (UK) »
Yes Thanks I saw that site, I will contact them and see if they can help.

Offline neillsun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 May 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Been a while since you posted this - did you come right with your uncle?

I'm working on my grandfather's war diary, and have done a bit of research. I gather you aren't sure whether he was in 1st, 2nd or 3rd Battalion of the Transvaal Scottish? I think all three ended up in Egypt at some point of another, but I suspect he may have been 1st TS... I may be wrong, though.

If you can let me know his name I will be happy to see what I can find. You didn't mention whether he survived the war - so I am guessing he did?

N

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi neillsun
Found out that my Uncle was in the 2 Transvaal Scottish they were responsible for attacking Sollum on the Libyan border. After that they moved towards Tobruk were they were captured by the Germans on the 20 Jun 1942.

My uncle ended up in Italy as a prisoner and then later in Germany. He was in Stalag 4B Muhlberg with ranking officers. He was among the men that were rescued, flown to England and then onto South Africa.
He's name Pte.Frank Allan Dally, Army number 32325

If you have anything more about the fight in Sollum and the prison camp Stalag 4B will be most grateful.   Thanks

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 June 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalag_IV-B the external links at the bottom are worth looking at.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 June 17 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks pampoen and max D for the links. Will look at them, for I want to add a bit about the prison camp in my book. I have completed the section on the battle of Sollum.