Author Topic: Transvaal Scottish Regiment during WWII.  (Read 10206 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transvaal Scottish Regiment during WWII.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 June 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
This translated Polish blog has snippets not on the other sites as seen from a prisoner perspective.
http://szczepon.blox.pl/2009/08/Mhlberg-Zeithein.html
maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks maxD interesting and sad. My uncle just stayed there till he and the others were rescued. Not like some who tried to escape.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline cands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 August 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
@katytay one of the gentlemen in one of the photos looks exaclty like my grandfather. I know he was injured at el alemain do you know if there is somewhere i could get more infomation

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 August 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.

This site http://www.national.archives.gov.za/index.htm has been cited a number of times on here.  Once you find (hopefully) his service record that will tell you what battalion he was in and you could proceed from there.

Roots member 3sillydogs in Durban has been helpful to others and may see this.  I'll send a message to her.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 August 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hello cands, I got my Uncles service records from the South Africa Defense force Archives. So if your grandfather was South African that is the place to try. But if he is British then you will have to try Kew Archives in England. Give as much info as you can about what you know of his service and give his full name and birth date. If you know his Identity number give that as well.
This is the email address of the South Africa Defense force Archives, documentation centre - sandfdoc@mweb.co.za
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline neillsun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 August 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi neillsun
Found out that my Uncle was in the 2 Transvaal Scottish they were responsible for attacking Sollum on the Libyan border. After that they moved towards Tobruk were they were captured by the Germans on the 20 Jun 1942.

My uncle ended up in Italy as a prisoner and then later in Germany. He was in Stalag 4B Muhlberg with ranking officers. He was among the men that were rescued, flown to England and then onto South Africa.
He's name Pte.Frank Allan Dally, Army number 32325

If you have anything more about the fight in Sollum and the prison camp Stalag 4B will be most grateful.   Thanks

Kartay,

Really, sorry, looks like I never got back to you!! I see you have managed to get your uncle's record from the SANDF. I found them quite helpful.

So I have Dally, Pte. F.A.* listed under 2 Transvaal Scottish. The asterisk denotes, as you mentioned, a P.O.W. Unfortunately that is all I have here.

Neill

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neil

I have already written up the short booklet for my cousin, including photos and documents. I looked up what others said about their experiences as a POW and also found info on the German camps. I added a general description to the booklet. My cousin now has it, all I have to do now is finish his family tree. 

Offline Robert Hamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 May 20 05:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Karytay. That´s  my Dad!!!!
In the first photo 2nd from right. I have shown it to my family and they are all quite sure it is too.  Lieutenant Hugh Hamilton known as Ginger. 3rd Transvaal Scottish Regiment. South African.
I am guessing the photo was taken in Mersa Egypt after they had came from the East Africa Campaign against the Italians in June 1941. The Regiment was destroyed by Axis forces at Sidi Rezegh in Operation Crusade in November 1941. He was captured and spent the remainder of the war in Italian and German prison camps. He never mentioned any battles only amusing training excersies and escape attempts and being on the run in occupied Europe. I have learnt most thing through the internet while locked down piecing together fragments of information remembered as a boy. I would love to learn more from any one especially if the name ring any bells. My Dad would be 100 this May 25th, he died in 1993.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert
Nice to hear from you. Glad you recognize your dad. Unfortunately my uncle pass on long time ago so  I cannot ask him anything about the men he was with in the photo's. 
Hope you get more answers.