Author Topic: 1841 William Meldrum  (Read 1058 times)

Offline aron75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 William Meldrum
« on: Thursday 08 May 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
Seeking census information for William Meldrum, b. abt 1816 in Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.  Can find nothing on ancestry.com, familysearch.org, or freecen.  William was single at the time.  He married in either New or Old Deer in 1849 to Jane "Jean" Jamieson.  He appears on the 1851 census in New Deer.  He migrated to the US in 1855.  Ultimately hope to discover parents.  Scoured the internet with no success.  Thanks in advance!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 William Meldrum
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
To discover his parents I think you would be better to check his birth record on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
There are no births for that name in Fyvie but two in the county.

The census records are not the most accurate way of checking data. In Williams case there are 13 noted on the 1841 census, born 1816 +/- 5 years, none born in Aberdeenshire but more than one in the North East of Scotland. 

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 May 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could there be a bit of confusion with a similar place name?
William Meldrum 16th Jan 1815 s of William Meldrum and Mary Duguid of Tyrie Aberdeenshire.

Mary seems to be the daughter of John from Fyvie 1.9.1782.
Other children for John 27.2.1777,Margaret 30.7.1783,Marjory 8.11.1785,John 12.7.1787.
John married a Jean Forbes at Tyrie 27. July 1772

Women do often go home to their mother to have their first child so mary could have gone back to Fyvie to have William and then returned to Tyrie for the christening.

Worth a thought?
Ciderdrinker

Offline aron75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 May 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you ciderdrinker.  I have seen those names before and have not ruled them out as possible parents.  But it was always the fact that it was Tyrie that left me with doubt.  Your explanation is one I'd never considered.  The fact that Mary Duguid's parents were from Fyvie is intriguing.  I'll look into this more.  Thanks again!