Author Topic: Bremhill  (Read 16554 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bremhill
« on: Friday 09 May 14 00:23 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where Bremhill burials are hidden other than Chippenham in the register?????? Need a COMPLETE as poss transcript (not individual entries or fragments)
Have found all probates marriages and births from numerous sources and done pdfs for the latter 2 but the burials are elusive ...

Cheers....
 :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bremhill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 14 07:45 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Bremhill page on GenUKI?
And from that the section for Church Records?

Where it clearly states that burials for 1590 to 1874 are deposited at Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre.

See http://www.wshc.eu/parish-register-list#B

The Wiltshire OPC site implies that there are NO transcripts available?!

Wiltshire FHS has a booklet available of Bremhill burials. A snip at £6.50 plus p+p! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 14 08:28 BST (UK) »
No freebies for Bremhill burials,complete in all details or otherwise,by the looks of it,chaps. 

Had a look at the WOPC site but couldn't quite twig what you meant,Mr Garrad.  It looked to me that they simply haven't been transcribed for their site by any of their volunteers yet.   Have I missed something?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
That's what I meant!
The web page is: http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/genealogy/index.php/parish-directory/item/326-bremhill

At the bottom you will find:
Transcriptions

Baptisms
Marriages
Burials
Census     1841   1851   1861   1871   1881   1891   1901   1911
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
You are correct Lulu

The OPC page for Bremhill does not yet include transcripts for Bremhill - We are currently working on the census sets but finances do not permit the purchase of the original registers on microfiche as of yet.  The page clearly lists those holdings at WSHC

Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1591-1990
Marriages 1598-1993
Burials 1590-1874

Burial registers after 1874 are still in use at St. Martin's Church

If it helps anyone - there is a photogallery on the parish page of the memorial stones standing as of  2010

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 May 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
thanks to everyone for input..........     what a shame they aint available YET.......... and uuuummmm I might have to bite bullet on that booklet(gggrrr)     I only took on Bremhill  as I saw some of the Yatesbury / Cherhill family names also appear in Bremhill........    so at this point I pity anyone trying to complete genealogies for this town as from the material I have collated it is apparent that there is a need to distinguish fathers and sons named same in regards to marrying or marrying twice.......
the marriage records are fairly in tact for Bremhill with the exception of one period where it looks to me there was a non compliant rector or possibly semi illiterate.    The earlier part of the records are probably latinised versions of the names, and the overall perception I feel is there is more phonetic recording of surnames than actual educated forms of the names.  Interesting place.......

2nd question I suppose which would assist......    does anyone have a finished compiled list of rectors for the church.......
3rd question ......  gravestones and plaques...?

to researchers doing the village ....  the only way at the moment to make some rough determination on the deaths or burials is use the probate index as a guide to when some of the individuals died......

another point to mention is ......  as much as the registers held at WSHC cover an expanded period, from the beginning the fs.o does have them until 1895........   the Bremhill marriage references from 1837 also appear on WiltsBMD to the current but one must have an inkling of the surnames you require..... to enable one to cross compare to St Catherines House Indexes.

given the deaths fall under Calne registration district from 1837 to 1936 once you have a name maybe you will find the death cert ref  on St Catherines House Indexes if the person remained in the Calne area until death....   I did notice there was a portion of Bremhill residents dying in Hilmarton and fs.o does record those but it for a very small window.

As I have not completely finished an assessment of the place ( as I have just completed Cherhill as well) there is not much more I can say..........
 :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 May 14 06:54 BST (UK) »
to enable one to cross compare to St Catherines House Indexes.

given the deaths fall under Calne registration district from 1837 to 1936 once you have a name maybe you will find the death cert ref  on St Catherines House Indexes if the person remained in the Calne area until death.... 

UMmmm . . . . . The GRO Indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths haven't been at St Catherines House since 1997!!! ;D ;D

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 May 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
who cares.... u knows wots i means :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 May 14 08:53 BST (UK) »
But many newer researchers won't understand?

But if you like to use terminology that's 17 years out of date - don't be surprised if people say WOT?!? ;D ;D ;D