Author Topic: Drysdales on Islay  (Read 7437 times)

Offline PandaBud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drysdales on Islay
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 19 12:33 GMT (UK) »
The Dumbarton Romeo is my Great Great Great Grandfather. Born in Paisley in 1766, died in Dumbarton in 1849. That is the furthest back I have got in my Drysdale line. I either need to check church records in Paisley for his birth or baptism, or church records in Kendal for his marriage to try and get more information. Haven't been able to get further online. My dad had uncles called Romeo and Islay Ferrier and at least one cousin called Islay Ferrier. I've added Mary Lindsay Murray to my tree, thanks for the info. I'm descended from William born in 1808. For any other Drysdales following this line https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3290612. Though Romeo's wife was Margaret Hargroves.

Offline dijaks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 March 19 21:58 GMT (UK) »
It was so confusing when I was looking for what happened to Mary Lindsay Murray.  Islay Ferrier Drysdale was spelt in so many different ways and Margaret Hargroves was too!   Mary and Islay were married on 6 July 1865 in Bonhill.  His brother Dougal was a witness!   I ended up finding an Internet Site devoted to your Romeo Drysdale of Dumbarton Castle which was very interesting!  I descend from Mary Lindsay Murray's grandparents, James Murray and Mary Lindsay.  The Murrays seem to have all come from around Bonhill and they were all in the shoe making business.   Islay Ferrier Drysdale was an iron monger born in 1840 to William Drysdale and Lilias Boyle.

Offline PandaBud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 19 16:45 GMT (UK) »
The different spellings can make it difficult.  :-\  I can't even remember why I settled on Hargroves. So many variations. Hardgrave, Hargrieve, Hargreave, with/without the s or d. Names like Romeo and Islay Ferrier made looking for Drysdales so much easier.  ;D Plus I already knew the connection with Dumbarton Castle. I haven't really looked into the different branches but add them on if I get the information.
 Again, if anybody looking at this Drysdale tree wants information, then message me. It's a few years since I really looked and unfortunately my old computer that had source information and stuff has died on me. I still have the tree though and can give you what is on that.

Offline HelenLa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 May 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi PandaBud - That Romeo was my 4X (I think!) Great Grandfather, via his son Robert.  Wish I knew where the Romeo came from, but that is great information about Islay Ferrier.  I never knew that.  I agree that this branch has been easier to research than some others in my tree with all these unusual names - Romeo and Islay Ferrier!

Offline PandaBud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 May 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen. Looks like we are cousins several times removed then. I'm descended via Robert's brother William.
Don't know where or when the Romeo name started. I know Romeo had a son, also Romeo, born in London in 1805. I have his baptism as being at the Scots Church in Woolwich. There was another Romeo Drysdale baptised at this church in a different year. Now that could be a clerical error, or a second baptism, or our Romeo being a bit of a lad. Or it could be that the Romeo name was being used in other branches of the family and goes back further. I might have to look at that again, if I can remember where I got the info from.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 May 19 08:43 BST (UK) »
There was a family named Romeo in the Garngad, Glasgow.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline HelenLa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 May 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
Well hello, distant cousin!  There's a lot to figure out with our Romeo!  His army service record says he was born in Paisley, but I've also found a Romeo Drysdale born at the same time in London.  Coincidence via a different family, or did someone mis-remember for the service record?  I also saw the 1794 marriage to Margaret, but can't find any surviving children until the 1805 Romeo.  Wonder if they were overseas with the army???  It seems like the more I find, the more questions I have!

Offline P-J

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 May 19 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is " P-J".  Major-General Ilay ( he never spelt it with an 's'! ) Ferrier was my great-gt.-gt.-gt.-Grandfather, and was Lieutenant-Governor of Dumbarton Castle from 1796 until his death in 1824.  Romeo Drysdale was his Master Gunner, and the two men became friends.  When Ilay drew up the final version  of his Will, Romeo was his witness.
When, in 1836, it was decided that Dumbarton Castle no longer needed a Governor, Romeo Drysdale remained in nominal charge, in effect as custodian, and would conduct visitors round the Castle and Rock, telling them the history and stories of his own period of service there.  When he died, at his home in Strathleven Place, Dumbarton, on 27th August 1849, The Greenock Advertiser ( 4th Sept. 1849 ) and The Stirling Observer ( ( 6th Sept. 1849 ) carried this notice:
 " At Strathleven Place, Dumbarton, on the 27th ult., Mr. Romeo Drysdale, aged 83 years, late master-gunner ( Royal Artillery ), for 38 years in Dumbarton Castle, and 60 years in Her Majesty's Service ".
  I'm sure you know that his & Margaret's son William had a Memorial Stone erected in the Riverside Kirkyard, Dumbarton ( Stone no. NS 3975 ).  It's badly weathered but what remains of the inscription runs:
 "Erected by William Drysdale, plumber, to commemorate his father, Romeo Drysdale who died 2[?7th August 1849 aged 84]: Margaret Ha[?rgrove] his mother, d. 30th April 1848, aged 73: Margaret, his sister, who died 16th June 1848, aged 29: and Islay, his brother, who died 14th July, 1851, aged 35."
   There's a notice in " China Who's Who " 1922 re. William Drysdale, his wife Christina Watt and their son Islay Ferrier Drysdale [who was b. 12th Feb. 1867, Glasgow, and m. Mary Young.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 May 19 14:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat P-J.

Skoosh.