Author Topic: Henry Cavell/Cavill 1647  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Polly & Des

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Cavell/Cavill 1647
« on: Friday 09 May 14 16:49 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the Cavell family for several years but have had no success in finding confirmation of the birth of Henry Cavell/Cavill. He was the son of Henry Cavill and Sarah Pittock and PERHAPS was born in Deal 4 April 1647. Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Des Lawler

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Cavell/Cavill 1647
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 May 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Des

I have the Parish Records for Deal and the surrounding area and believe I may be able to help.

Henry CAVILL married Sara PITTOCK on 29/10/1632 at St Leonard's Chuch, Deal. The following children were baptised there:

4/8/1633 Mary     May have married Thomas PARSONS in 1681 but not certain if the same Mary
19/10/1634 Mercy
  5/2/1636  Henry
27/10/1639  Martha  married Theophilus SIMMONS 22/2/1660
12/12/1641  Samuel
24/12/1643  William  married Ann BEAN  17/1/1666
  6/1/1645  Sara
  4/4/1647  Henry  married Bannet AUSTIN 21/2/1675

Henry & Bennet CAVILL went on to have William(1676), Henry (1678), Sara (1681), Thomas (1684), John (1687). Full dates available if you need them.
After 1687 the issue is from Henry & Mary suggesting that Bennet had died and that Henry had remarried though there is no record at St Leonard's. This is a preliminary look at the records and I don't know how much information you have. I have not looked at any other parishes yet but will do so if you wish.

Kind Regards

AJ

Offline Polly & Des

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi AJ,
Very many thanks for the information you supplied regarding the Cavell family.Henry Cavell (1647) was my 7th great grandfather. I continue with the Cavell family until I reach Jane Cavell (1754-1838) who then marries Richard Dawes. I believe you also supplied some excellent information to my distant cousin (Ankaret24carat) a few months back. Information, I must add, also benefited myself.
Thank you once again. The information is a great help. Perhaps you could clear up a point which has troubled me. The baptism records I have have mainly been LDS and they state that the baptismal place was Davington not Deal. Maybe it is the way LDS index their records. As a matter of interest, I do try to cross reference all information with original records, if possible, or Tyler for example.
Kind Regards,
Des

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Des
Glad I could be of help. I think I remeber supplying Ankaret with information, but I can't remember the family - possibly Dawes - I know I've looked at them in the past.
Not clear what LDS is, nor have I heard of Davington. The information I sent you was from the Parish Register of St Leonard's Chuch in Deal, of that there is no question.
A couple more snippets: Your Henry was the second Henry born in 1647, the first being born in 1636. There is no record of his burial in Deal, implying that he died and was buried somewhere else.
Nor is there a record of Henry's wife Bennet being buried there, if, indeed she did die and the Henry that married Mary was a different one.
On 13/11/1711 Mary Cavill, daughter of Henry, was buried at St Leonard's. I take this to be the Mary born in 1633. If so she obviously never married.
Henry and Sara both died and were buried 1/9/1666 and 20/8/1666 respectively. Possibly during the tail end of the Great Plague, but that is speculation.
Who is Tyler that you refer to? I'd be interested to know.
Kind regards

AJ

Offline Polly & Des

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 May 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hello AJ,
Once again many thanks.
I am really happy to learn that the records are from St.Leonard's Church, Deal.
With regard to Bennet, I have a burial record for Bennett widow Cavil on 25 Mar 1715 or 1716 at St. Leonard's Church, Deal. If this is our Bennet it implies that Henry predeceased her. I am attaching the record for you to see. This is an LDS (Latter Day Saints or Family Search) record. - I could not do it!!
The Tyler I mentioned was from the Tyler Index an example of which I also attach. Same again-Can't attach an image, sorry.
Kind Regards
Des

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 May 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Des,
Thanks for the clarification - silly of me, I should have thought of Latter Day Saints.
You're quite right, Bennet was buried at St Leonard's 25/3/1716 (they used the Julian calendar then) and was described as "wid" and I searched for Henry's death earlier but couldn't find it. He was not buried at St Leonard's or he was buried somewhere else or lost at sea. Or the records are not what they should be.
It must be the same Bennet as there were no other Bennets at the time other than the daughter of William & Sara born 1709. And if she'd married she would not be Cavell, of course.
Regarding the Henry & Mary I mentioned, their first child was born in 1710 so he must be Henry's son, born 1678. No marriage in Deal so would have been at Mary's parish.

Kind Regards

AJ

Offline i_am_sam82

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 October 18 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

The Bennet (b. 1645) who married your Henry Cavell (b. 1647) was nee Austin, is that right? Daughter of Thomas Austin and Elizabeth Nowell? I have this lot in my tree too! I have Bennet's death down as March 25 1716, too.
Henry's death I have as 1716, but no month or day. Is the death at sea idea conjecture (he lived in Deal, a port) or does anyone know what his job was?

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 October 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
Bennet who married Henry Cavell was indeed an Austin. Bennett is the first entry in the 1716 register and she is listed as 'widow' so Henry must have died prior to 1716 but I can find no record of his death so far. There was a Mary Cavell buried later in 1716 and the name is recoded as 'My' while Henry was traditionally recorded as 'Hy' so that might explain he possible confusion.
Can't find Bennet being baptised in Deal nor the marriage of Thomas and Elizabeth Austin so presumably they were from a different parish.

Regards

AJ