Author Topic: John TAPLIN and Caroline HOLTON  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John TAPLIN and Caroline HOLTON
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 November 14 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have Mary Ann's birth certificate. She was born in Dudley, Staffordshire. In later years she suffered from dementia, so some of the census returns were not always accurate about her age, being filled in I suspect by relatives, who may not have been too sure of her birth details. So in 1901 it was still Staffordshire, but in 1911 it was Not Known.

As far as I can see, both Emma and Mary Ann must have married between April 1871 and January 1873, indeed in Mary Ann's case between Jan 1872 and Jan 1873, since Catherine, the first wife, was still alive.

Maybe they simply ignored the formality of a wedding/

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John TAPLIN and Caroline HOLTON
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am reviving this topic as I am having doubts about Mary Taplin, the daughter of John Taplin and Caroline Holton. I know for sure that Mary was baptised in Tingewick on 2 June 1850. I believe that she died in infancy, as she does not appear on either the 1851 or 1861 censuses.

I do not have a BMD birth reference for her, so cannot access her birth certificate.

I do have a possible BMD death reference (Q4 1853 Dudley 6c 97), which could make sense as my Great Grandmother Mary Ann Taplin was born in Dudley in March 1854. So the family were in the area at around about the right time.

ADDITIONAL POINT

The birth of another sister Emma is also slightly problematic, as I have no reliable BMD birth reference. She was evidently born in c1850 in Hertforshire if the censuses are to be believed. Which given the need for a 9 month gap raises the problem of the relationships between the births of Mary and Emma, who was born when and where?