Author Topic: Can anyone do anything with this?  (Read 7073 times)

Offline ajbaker

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandfather B J Ellis
    • View Profile
Can anyone do anything with this?
« on: Saturday 25 June 05 10:48 BST (UK) »
I have this picture of my GG Grandparents, George & Clara Baker. Until about six months ago it was torn in half right inbetween George and Clara. A local shop did a brilliant job of putting the two halves together seamlessly.

It has caused quite a lot of discussion in the family about whether it is a photo or a line drawing. It looks to me as if it is a combination of the two. I can see where pencil has been used to fill some areas in. Whether this was done early on or at a much later date I'm not sure.

George died in 1896, so it will have been made before then.

I would love for the two of them to be given a bit more life. I don't know whether it would be possible to give them a bit of colour or even just to make them not so pale looking. I'm open to suggestions.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Adam
Middlesex: BAKER CLAYTON
Surrey: STILWELL
Somerset: BAKER BOWDITCH
Dorset: BAKER BOWDITCH
Hertfordshire: ELLIS
Kent: LANSDELL
Essex: GREEN
Northumberland: FORTH OGILVIE
Germany: HANISCH
Denmark: INGWERSEN

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone do anything with this?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 05 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam,
This is a photograph which has been retouched by hand, probably at the time it was produced.  This was a common practice and the retouching would not have been so noticeable when it was first done.  The reason it stands out now is that the photograph underneath has faded a bit, so the black or brown hand-drawn lines look more obvious.
These retouching media can be quite powdery and soft, so I advise caution with storage and handling.
Prue

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 June 05 23:59 BST (UK) »
This is a curly one. It does look like it is almost a sketch. Adjusting the contrast might sharpen it up a bit but as far as colorizing goes, I'm not sure it would enhance its believability, if you know what I mean. But now that I have said that it would not surprise me if someone like Vikki Hanson had a crack at it and proves me wrong. Here's a challenge for all you budding digital pixel pushers. Who can breath some life into this one?
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline ajbaker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 05 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

Prue - I didn't know that it was common practise to retouch the photographs at the time that they were produced. The picture does have quite a soft and 'spongey' feel to it.

The trouble is, I'm not at all sure what it is exactly that I would like doing to it! I have so many other photos that are creased or faded or damaged that I could have posted, but it is this one that intrigues me the most.

Deadants I think hit the nail on the head when he asked if anyone can breathe some life into it - they're very flat looking. I don't think that I necessarily need it to look more like a photograph. Maybe colourising would do some good, maybe not. I don't know.

Anything anyone can do or suggest would be most welcome.

Regards,
Adam

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 05 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again Adam,
Yes it was reasonably common practice in the later 19th/early 20th centuries.  At that time, with the advent of faster photographic papers and brighter, more consistent lighting, photographers could produce enlargements from their negatives.  Before this, photos were produced as contact prints, which were 1:1 reproductions of the negative.  One downfall of an enlargement is a loss of detail, and this is where the retouching came in as a way to fill in the details that went a bit "fuzzy" on enlargement.  Photographers could also paint full colour layers over a photograph and sometimes you can barely tell that there is a photo there at all!
Prue

Offline ajbaker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 05 13:55 BST (UK) »
Woohoo!

I am feeling extremely pleased with myself. I decided to take the bull by the horns and have a dabble myself, despite having practically no working knowledge of graphics software. I downloaded GIMP 2.

First I changed the overall look of the picture with the colour levels tool. I then managed to give George a bit of colour, using the free select and intelligent scissors, followed by the colour balance and colour curves tools. I worked separately on his skin, hair eyes and tie.

It's very rough around the edges, I know, but it's the first time I've tried anything like this.

I'm now interested in smoothing out the edges of the areas where I worked, especially the eyebrows and hair. How can I get rid of the lines where I used the select tool?

I'm also not sure about George's hair colour, but I couldn't managed to find anything more natural-looking. I also think the whites of his eyes are a little too white.

Am I using the right techniques, or are there better ways of doing this? Will I have to learn how to use layers to do a better job?

I am still interested to see what other people can do with this picture, as I am very much a novice.

Sorry about the rambling nature of this post, but I am feeling rather exhilerated!  ;D

Regards,
Adam

Offline vhansen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 June 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
This looks like a "crayon" portrait.  Chromos or Crayon Portraits: 1860-1900  
"Widely produced for reasonably priced formal portraits. Generally large, sometimes life-sized, they were created by drawing over weak photographic image with charcoal or pastels, and sometimes water-based paints. The finished piece often gives the appearance of a drawing or painting."
More info:http://www.familytreemagazine.com/photos/mar18-04.htm

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 June 05 15:23 BST (UK) »
Adam

I can't give you any advice as I am a complete idiot when it comes to colouring - you won't need to be told that if you've seen any of my posted attempts - but I wanted to say 'well done'.  For a first attempt I think it's looking good.

I can see what you mean about the white of the eyes, I'm sure I read on another posting that you should add a touch of blue to soften this, but can't remember exactly where I read it.

I'm sure now you've had a go you'll get lots of help from the experts to 'iron out' the wrinkles.

Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline ajbaker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 June 05 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your information, encouragement and advice

I've now had a go putting some colour into Clara's cheeks, and I'm even more delighted than I was with George. I know it's very rough though, compared to some of the transformations that the experts produce on this board.

The hair looks more natural than George's, and her complexion isn't quite so sickly looking as his turned out to be. I tried to use the clone stamp tool to clear up some of my deficiencies but I'm not so sure how successful that was. Still not entirely happy about her eyes (her left one looks a bit vacant) and somehow I managed to flatten out her left eyebrow.

I haven't the faintest idea how to go about revamping their clothes and the background.

Will keep you posted of any further progress. Any comments, advice or improvements to the picture would be most welcome.

Regards,
Adam