Author Topic: KILSKEERY PARISH LOOK UP  (Read 2622 times)

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KILSKEERY PARISH LOOK UP
« on: Monday 12 May 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
The look ups that I'm needing are pre 1864 such as, marriage between Charles McGarrity and Susan McCanna/McKenna.  I can't find this online so can anyone advise how best to achieve this.  Do I write to the Parish directly? 
Thanks, PippaR

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KILSKEERY PARISH LOOK UP
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 May 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
You don’t say what denomination you are interested in. However looking at the rootsireland site, they don’t have any Kilskeery records (all denominations). It looks as though none of the records are available on-line. Copies are held in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. However a personal visit is generally required to view them (free). Kilskeery RC records start in 1840 & Church of Ireland in 1767.

You can try writing to the church, but you may not get a reply. (They get rather a lot of genealogical enquiries and don’t always have the resources to deal with them). If it’s Church of Ireland records, and the Vicar agrees to undertake the research, there will normally be a fee to pay.
Elwyn

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 May 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Elwyn, it is the RC records.  I've tried every avenue I can think of and unfortunately for my research I live in Australia and it seems getting back to further generations will prove a bit too difficult.  I'm sure you're right about enlisting Parish help as I can imagine they would have better things to occupy their time.
Thanks anyway,
PippaR

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 May 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
Your only other option would to employ a researcher to look them up in PRONI.
Elwyn

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 May 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
I agree.  I sent an email to Irish World 3 weeks ago to do this and I'm waiting to hear back as to whether or not they will take this on.
Thanks again for your advice.
PippaR

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 18 06:22 GMT (UK) »
OK, quite some time has passed here but have finally found a marriage record -
I have the RC parish record of her marriage in 1859 Dromore, Tyrone (just guessing birth date c1837).  First 3 sons (Hugh, Charles, John) were born in Dromore, the remainder in Trillick, Parish of Kilskeery.  Last birth 1875.  She married John McGarrity who was still in Trillick c1880 recorded in a land record.

I cannot locate a birth or death record anywhere (for either).  If they followed Irish naming conventions, her father should have been Charles McKenna.  Have gone down the DNA track to see if there's a 'best direction' but have only managed so far with Donegal, Derry and Down, so I seem to be going around and around.

I would be so appreciative of some input as to the best course to take, thanks.   

PippaR

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I completely understand the complexity here given record destruction etc., so I feel it best to close this topic. 
cheers, PippaR

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
There's a difference between missing/destroyed records and those that never existed in the first place. Civil registration of births started in 1864- before that date there were no births recorded.

Who "married John McGarrity who was still in Trillick c1880 recorded in a land record"? initial post says "marriage between Charles McGarrity and Susan McCanna/McKenna."

If you mean the Valuation Books that follow Griffith's- sometimes changes in circumstances were not recorded for a while. Also, if say a John Smyth was in property 2a then he died but a son (nephew, grandson, whatever) called John Smyth took over there will be no visable change in the Valuation Books.

For reference-
Charles McGarrity in Glassmullagh North-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Trillick/Glassmullagh_North/1741194

Marriage (1885) of Charles McGeraghty to Anne Daily says his father John was living-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10867/5968457.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
A little bit too young but posting in case turns out to be 'John McGarrity'- John McGarvey of Trillick, age 54, died 5 Mar.1897- unfortunately informant is coroner rather than relative-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05874/4665431.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!