Author Topic: Buckle Family Donaghadee  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Michael L

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buckle Family Donaghadee
« on: Monday 12 May 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone might be able to help me in my search for information about my Great Great Grandfather William Buckle.
William was born circa 1846-1846.  In the 1901 census William states that he was born in Scotland but in the 1911 census he gives his place of birth as Co Down. William married Bridget Redmond in Shore Street Presbyterian Church on 6th January 1865. Bridget was the daughter of Henry Redmond who was the Light Keeper at Donaghadee in 1863- 1865. William Buckle's father was Thomas Buckle.
I know there were Buckles living in Donaghadee around this time but I do not know if William was actually connected to this family. I'd be grateful for any help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Buckle Family Donaghadee
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 May 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Which is your line of their children?

They do look to have been in Scotland for some time:

Eliza 1868 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ7J-CG4
Margaret 1870 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ4F-8F9
Henry 1873 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQGX-DH1

Another daughter, Bridget Teresa also showing as born c. 1876 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=anna-louise&id=I18324 Not sure where though?

A further son Thomas, maybe born c. 1882, left for the US in later years. An online tree for him (is this yours?). However, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ show a birth/baptism for a Thomas in Greenock in 1878. Not sure on dates overall as I can't see them on the censuses to know whether one child died and name re-used etc. However, Scotlands People would let you confirm births and deaths for all the children born in Scotland in this period. You can download original images online for a small cost.

Marriage as you showed, 1865 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG8B-N4R

However, struggling so far to find them on the earlier Scottish censuses. Guess the 1901/1911 that you mention are in Ireland for William Buckle?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 May 14 21:02 BST (UK) »
Some online info on the family give this family for Bridget. From 1851:

Henry Redmand 30 shipwright b. Ireland
Eliza Redmand 35 b. Greenock
Mary Redmand 8 b. Greenock
Bridget Redmand 8 b. Greenock
Jane Kemp 11 Stepdaughter b. Greenock
John Kemp 15 Stepdaughter b. Greenock

Address: 18 St John St, Greenock

Eliza showing as Elisabeth McNeil. Daughter Bridget showing as having died at the age of 49 in July 1892 in Belfast. William Buckle's death on 24th Dec 1935 in Ireland.

Sure you have this all William, just hoping to flesh out the post to try and get further info for you  :)

Monica

Offline Michael L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thank you for this. I have this information from my previous searches.
William is proving to be quite 'elusive' in terms of his birth and family of origin. Given the two different places of birth he cites in the 1901 and 1911 Irish census returns I can't be sure where he was actually born or if his family came from Scotland or County Down, N Ireland.
Re William's son, Thomas, whose information you include in your message, I have actually managed to make contact with some of his descendants in the USA! Strange isn't it; I have found some of my Great Great Grandfather's descendants in the USA but am having trouble +++ in finding information about his own origins.
Regards
Michael

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
That is always the way...the one you are specially interested is the most tricky! Also, the family were RC? This will make finding a record of William's birth all the harder at this time, pre the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855 (if he was indeed born there).

What was father Thomas' occupation and also William's?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Bridget Redmond and William seem to be following some form of Scottish/Irish naming pattern. Following their 1865 marriage:

Eliza 1868 - Bridget's mother?
Margaret 1870 - potentially William's mother?
Henry 1873 - Bridget's father?
...then Thomas, not sure in which order for him

Margaret 1870 also shows as Margaret Mccargo Buckle, so potentially a clue as to maiden name for William's mother (although likely with some spelling variant).

Eliza 1868 shows as Eliza McNeil Buckle which from what you have is the name of Bridget's mother isn't?

Monica

Offline Michael L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
On his marriage certificate to Bridget Redmond William gives his occupation as 'Artisan'. Later in the 1901 and 1911 Irish census he gives his occupation as 'Joiner' and then 'Ships Joiner'.
There is a shipping connection running through this branch of my tree and I think it was through shipping / ship building that the families came into contact. William's father-in-law Henry Redmond was a 'Shipwright'' Ship's Carpenter' and later a 'Lighthouse Keeper' at Donagahdee, County Down. Henry's other daughter (Bridget Redmond's twin sister) married a Lighthouse Keeper. They travelled the length and breadth of Ireland, stationed in different postings with the Irish Lights.
I have been able to find a record for the marriage of Henry Redmond and Elisabeth McNeil. They married in Greenock on 10th January 1841. I have two possible records for Elisabeth's birth. Although these records relate to two different people the month and year of birth on each record are the same as are the first names of the parents so I cannot tell which record relates to my Elisabeth.
I have not been able to locate any records linking either the Redmonds, Buckles or McNeil's with the name McCargo. In the Irish and Scottish records women sometimes tended to include their maiden name alongside their married name. This is useful as it helps when it comes to searches.
Michael

Offline Brett Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I stumbled across this thread and realized with rising excitement that a few of my ancestors are almost certainly connected to some of the individuals you are discussing in this thread!
Please bear with my brief preamble.
My great grandfather, William Taylor was born and raised on Longforth Farm, Old Luce, Wigtownshire, Scotland, which is not far from the coastal town of Portpatrick.
His father was William Taylor SR (my 2x great grandfather), who, according to the 1851 Scotland census,  was born in Stoneykirk parish.
William Sr. met his wife (my 2x great grandmother) Susan McCargo who was the daughter of Frank (Frances) McCargo (my 3x great grandfather) and wife Margaret (nee McGaw)
Frank McCargo was born in Ireland about 1771. I do not know the specific location (yet). Margaret was also born about 1771 somewhere in Wigtownshire. I have not nailed down the exact date and parish (yet).
Frank McCargo and Margaret McGaw were married Sept. 7, 1803 at Kirkmaiden parish, Wigtownshire.
From the Kirkmaiden parish records:
"Frances McCargo in Kilumpha farm and Margaret McGaw in Bear Hill farm were married Sept. 7, 1803"
I have them and their children living in Portpatrick in 1841 where he was working as a watchman.
Ten years later in 1851 Margaret is gone (I assume dead) and Frank along with his other daughter Martha McCargo are living with the Taylors at Longforth farm, Old Luce.
Ten years later in 1861 Frank is now gone and only his daughter Martha remains, living with the Taylor family. Martha died at Longforth in 1881.
Now back to Frances McCargo's daughter Susan (my 2x great grandmother) and William Taylor SR. (2x Gr. grandfather).
They were married at Shore Street Presbytarian Church in Donaghadee, Ireland July 15, 1839 by the Rev. William Skelly.
They were actually married 20 miles across the sea from Portpatrick, Wigtownshire in Donaghadee, Ireland!! But the marriage was recorded in the register of Portpatrick parish, Wigtownshire back in Scotland. I noticed the same thing with a few other marriages on the same page from the Portpatrick parish. This has me scratching my head, however I did find out that Donaghadee has a history of "Ulster" Scots in that area and I have also discovered that it was also known as a "Gretna Green".
From the Portpatrick parish Records:
"Mr. William Taylor and Miss Susan McCargo of this parish, having produced a certificate of marriage of him William Taylor and Miss Susan McCargo by the Rev. William Skelly, Presbytarian minister at Donaghadee dated at Donaghadee the Fifteenth of July one thousand eight hundred and thirty-nine years, which certificate of marriage the kirk session sustained"   
Now the Buckle Family Connection..
As I have already mentioned, my 2x great grandparents were William Taylor SR and Susan (McCargo). They had nine children, one of which was William Taylor Jr., my Great grandfather and another was Elizabeth (Betsey) Taylor. She married a Thomas Buckle who was from Donaghadee, Down County. They were married in Belfast, Antrim County, Ireland in 1861. A few months later they emigrated to Australia, sailing on the ship "Abyssinian". Betsey was already pregnant and their daughter was born aboard ship in Sydney Harbour in late May or early June, 1862. The records show that their arrival date was May 29. Thomas was listed as a ship's carpenter.
No other information until Oct. 3, 1863 when Thomas, Betsy and little Kate were vacationing north of Sydney at Myall Lake near Port Stephens. Thomas and a friend were canoeing just offshore from the cabin they were staying at. The canoe capsized and Thomas drowned. This tragic event was witnessed by Betsy, who, according to the news reports at the time,  was overcome with grief and lost her faculties for a time.
A couple years later on March 31, 1865, Betsy remarried, this time to a fellow Scot James Parker, who also had emigrated from Scotland to Australia. Parker was also from the same area Wigtownshire of Southwest Scotland. At some point between 1865 and 1874 they returned to Scotland and settled onto Knowes farm, lKirkmaiden parish. Kate Buckle ended up taking on her step-father's surname Parker.
Betsy died around 1909.
Based on what I have posted above, I am fairly certain that the McCargo surname you mentioned is no coincidence to the McCargo individuals in my family tree!!
Here is a photo of the Buckle family headstone in Donaghadee parish graveyard: http://www.graves1.homecall.co.uk/Donaghadee/pages/BuckleT.htm
A fellow geneaologist researcher/acquantance,  Shan Wight, who has been researching some of the same branches, made a great attempt to transcribe the engraving from that little photo. Not a bad job either!
"Erected by Margaret Buckle to the memory of her husband Thomas Buckle who departed this life 14 Oct 1859 aged ** years. ?Their daughter Isabel ......aged 3 years. Their Son Thomas who ***** N.S.W. ** October 1863 Aged 28 Years. Robert Nelson........died ** March 1875 aged 23 years." (Foregoing transcription may have inaccuracies due to poor legibility.)
There you have it folks. That is what I have on the Buckle family as far as your Donaghadee branch is concerned.  My research indicates that the McCargo family was most likely located in Antrim or Down counties. If any of you happen to discover any parish records regarding the McCargo family please let me know!!

Cheers,
Brett Clark
Calgary, Alberta
Canada

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Brett

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Michael will get an email notification of your post and hopefully post back soon...

Monica