Author Topic: Parkhurst Boys and George Brown  (Read 1089 times)

Offline weatherhog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parkhurst Boys and George Brown
« on: Wednesday 14 May 14 01:55 BST (UK) »
George Brown (shoemaker, aged 16) arrived in New Zealand on the St George in 1842 as one of the Parkhurst Boys.  I have quite a lot of information about his life, but could do with some help tracing his movements between the following years: 1842-1857, and 1858-1872.  If anyone can help I'd appreciate it so much.

Annette (New Zealand)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Parkhurst Boys and George Brown
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 11:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Annette ;D

You say you have a lot of information but don't say what, so it is a little hard to work out what is useful. ???

However here is a link to Papers past with a couple of Ads, possibly from your George BROWN, not an uncommon name ::) But at least this fellow is a "Shoemaker"

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0z8d/

Neil ;)
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 11:05 BST (UK) »
There has been lots and lots of work done on various Parkhurst Boys both in NZ and Australia and a lot of material has been gathered. You may like to browse some of these directly related subjects.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

Neil ;)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
Contact with BAC 3 on this forum will probably be some help. This is one of the incredibly long posts from years back which has gone on and on and there is one also on there with a connection to a George BROWN "Shoemaker"

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=80510.0  MODIFIED "reply 163"

You will need three posts to be able to use the personal message system so responding o here a couple of times will open up that feature. You can click on anyones name in a post and it will open their file and you can "PM" from there or once organised you can just click the little text box (green if online) {in a circle under their name} and it will take you straight to a P Message for the recipient.

Neil ;)

Offline weatherhog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neil for the information.  It is possible that the shoemaker George Brown from Wellington is our man, but I'm pretty sure he stayed in the Auckland area - East Tamaki & Manukau - but then again..... it's worth looking into as he 'vanished' for a few years.

Offline weatherhog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking, Neil, that I'll have a look at the Australian Indexes.  I did wonder if he had married previously in New Zealand as he was so much older than Harriet Ward when they married in NZ in 1872 (George was born 1926).  Can find no evidence to support this though.  Australia seems the next logical step to rule that scenario out.  Will have a look today (very quiet at work and no clients cos the road in is closed for a week - yay!).

Offline weatherhog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
George had been jailed for horse stealing.  He learned the trade of shoemaker in Parkhurst Prison.  We know that the boys who arrived in New Zealand were given their freedom in exchange for two years apprenticeship.  Most of them were apprenticed to local farmers in the Auckland area.  George later became a farmer in his own right.

Thanks for the info about previous posts.  I will take a look at them today too.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 June 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hello.

May I suggest that you ask the MODERATOR to transfer your request to the New Zealand Board.

We have a very hard working team of volunteers there who will hunt out all the references that can be found from their expertise and knowledge of places to search within NZ.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 October 21 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette ("weatherhog"),

A long while back, 2014 to be exact, you were seeking information concerning the "Parkhurst Boy" George BROWN and the missing 30 years of his life in NZ from 1842 onwards!!!

I have a fairly detailed Biography for him, including a photograph, but, sadly, those 30 years remain undocumented.   I wonder during the intervening period since 2014 you have had any success unearthing details??     Incidentally, I was helped producing that Biography by his Great Grandson and Great Great Granddaughter.

For now,

BAC3