Author Topic: Tyr Wynch Rd, St Mellons  (Read 2587 times)

Offline TracyJames50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tyr Wynch Rd, St Mellons
« on: Thursday 15 May 14 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I'm hoping someone can please help with the location and hopefully a photo of a house that ancestors of mine lived in.  The name of the house was "Sherwood" and it was located in Tyr Wynch Road, St Mellons according to the probate of my gg aunt Florence Mary Caroline German nee James.  I believe my James' may have lived here at some time but Florence and her husband Herbert Reginald definately lived here as it's also listed in immigration records.

I did find mention of a 'Sherwood' in Newport Road, Roath, wrong road I know but am wondering if the roads have changed over the years or perhaps 'Sherwood' was on a corner?.....all guesswork though.

Appreciate your help.
Tracy
New Zealand
James - Pugh - Owen - Watkins - Hurdidge - Rees - Broad - Edwards - Rogers - Watson

Offline slyvia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tyr Wynch Rd, St Mellons
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
I
Hello

I have just looked at Kellys Diretory for 1967 and Tyrwynch Road seems to be just off
Newport Road. Only one property mentioned
a Thomas Clifford living at Lynch Gate House.
Perhaps somebody else may have a previous Directory it may contain other information.

Slyvia

Offline TracyJames50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts Sylvia  :)

After using google maps yesterday I'm wondering if it may have changed name over the years.  Apparently it was quite a large house and at one stage the family used it as a B&B or lodging house.
James - Pugh - Owen - Watkins - Hurdidge - Rees - Broad - Edwards - Rogers - Watson

Offline gilly3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 May 14 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Tyr Winch Road is in Old St. Mellons, on the outskirts of Cardiff.  I googled Sherwood, Tyr Winch Road and got some estate agent's details of a modern house at that address.  I'm wondering if the original Sherwood was demolished and a new house built on the land.  Not what you want to hear, I know, but I think it's definitely the location.   If it was a guest house in its original form, there could possibly be something in old directories?  I'll have a look and let you know if I find anything.
Good luck.
Gill
Pope, Woolcott, Britton, Ireland, Turpitt, Shaddick, Mogridge, Corney, Pratt, Haddock, Belcher, Gigg, Tucker, John

Offline TracyJames50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 May 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Gill  :)

If it's any help it was definately called 'Sherwood', St Mellons, Near Cardiff in 1948 according to immigration record of ancestor Clifford James German returning to UK...this was given as proposed address in UK and was his parents address.  When his mother Florence Mary Caroline German died in 1953 her address on probate was 'Sherwood', Tyr Winch Rd, St Mellons.  Florence's husband Herbert German died in 1969 but have been unable to find a probate record or any other record for him to confirm address.

There is also reference when I googled that a Abraham Hood moved permanetly to Wales from Scotland in 1867 and his home in Wales was called 'Sherwood', Newport Road, Cardiff...could be just coincidence?

Is there somewhere in Wales where land/street records are held for the years in question?.....maybe this would help solve my mystery  ???  :)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 May 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
I can see a 1937 directory for the area - lists the properties in "Ty Winch" Road as follows

from the main road

Hillside,
The Bngalow
Churchyard
William Nicholls Convalescent Homes
The Lodge
Groeslechfechan

here cross over

Parkview
Sherwood [occupant H R German]
Springfield Terrace

Offline TracyJames50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 May 14 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Mabel  :)

Can you please let me know which "Directory" you found this in please?

Offline slyvia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 May 14 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Tracy

I am going to the Library today and I will see if I can see anything in the
South Wales Echo.

Sylvia

Offline TracyJames50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 May 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sylvia  :)