Author Topic: Father of James McKay Bishop?  (Read 5930 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Father of James McKay Bishop?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 07:17 BST (UK) »
Vangassers connection is in reply 5

In case you don't know about scottish namimg systems ;
 James may have had the middle name McKay after one of his grandparents .

There was a mention of a brother William .was he younger or older ?

Second son usually named after mothers father

Third son named after father so william .
unless fathers father was also william in which case first son would be william .

Middle names are great clues.
MCKAY.s seem to be everywhere .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline vangasser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, Thanks for asking. I found most of this information in: 
William Bishop in entry for John Bishop, “Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950”
I still want to figure out about the dates and places I found.

About the two Bishops in Australia. I might have communicated with them.

My mother was - Sarah Louisa Bishop. She is the daughter of George James Bishop, who is the son of James McKay Bishop, who is the son of John Bishop (St Helena Scottish Soldier). John Bishop is the son of William Bishop.

I hope this helps. vangasser

Offline vangasser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 22:12 BST (UK) »
Some confusion regarding the Bishops in South Africa - possibly resolved.
Dear Family & Friends, Every now and then we find that the two main Bishop Families in South Africa are/is seen as the "Same one." There are few suggestions to consider, which might just help.

John Karst Bishop Male
Birth about 1840
Grahamstown, Cape, South Africa Parents
William Karst Bishop - Male
Anna Johanna Carolina Timm - Female

This (unrelated to me) Bishop Family had its start round about the arrival of the 1820 British Settlers. It would seem that they settled in the Eastern Cape area, also making their way to Natal, where many still are descendants. I have visited on occasion with members of this Bishop Family. Very good people. One just has to mention the 1820 British Settlers and they would immediately claim you as theirs.

The other Branch of the Bishop Family is the one that arrived at the Cape of Good Hope, from Scotland. John Bishop was the son of William Bishop, which seems to be the reason why some researcher are misguided, since both original Bishop men had the name ‘William’ in their families. This Scottish William Bishop's son John, was a British soldier, who served both on the Atlantic island St. Helena. (Yes, the same place where Napoleon was held.) and in the Cape of Good Hope, now known as Cape Town. His wife gave birth on the Island to a son named James McKay Bishop. John eventually briefly returned first the Cape, then to Scotland after his service. Then finally settled in South Africa. This James M. Bishop had several children, one of them was named George James Bishop. George had several children, while living in the province of Orange Free State, South Africa. One of those children was my Mother, Sarah Louisa Bishop who died in 2005 at the age of 89.
Surely, the best proof we have of people is found in Birth, Christening, Marriage, and Death notices or certificates. Following those records, lead to better and more secure researching of Genealogical lines. Please be so kind as to share with others the information you have. Your knowledge and recorded proof would be most welcomed by others who might just be a little confused. You are so appreciated for reading and learning about the two (2) main Bishop families in South Africa. Do have a good day. Edv. vangasser .