Author Topic: ID this mystery object please? 'Solved thank you'!  (Read 2383 times)

Offline mopsy_jay

• RootsChat Member
  • All can use my restores if I ever get good enough!
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody ID this mystery object please.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 May 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to look at this for me, really appreciate it :)

Youngtug - reversed :) that explains her wedding band which it actually on her left, not right hand now!

Hackstaple, I am hoping the hands are just the perspective!

Ladybird & Joyful, I also thought bagpipes at first as there is a heavy Scottish influence here in these mountains but, I think Gadget might have it better with something like the Northumbrian small pipes which appear smaller than the bagpipes I have seen.

There is a very strong tradition of old mountain music here, Banjo, fiddle, Dulcimer etc. Blue grass was born here :) . The father of the man in the photo was a preacher and we know from records that he played music. George4, always good to learn new things! To me, the dulcimer has an almost sorrowful sound. Somehow fitting for the culture here back in 1800's & earlier.

Wiggy, when I split the photo & played with curves & clarify, I was sure that was a solid round object near the back of the hand in her lap, likewise, between her legs, just below her knees, which I didn't think was a development mark?

Gadget, good call on the button too lol ;)

Thank you again everybody!

I have been doing genealogy research for myself & others for many years, just because I love it.

I moved to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina in 2001 and just recently have got into photo restoration.

I am using an older version of Paintshop Pro XI on an even older pc :) & I want to thank in advance all who are helping me on this journey with my new hobby.

Anybody needing NC, VA research, just ask me!

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: ID this mystery object please? 'Solved thank you'!
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 May 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
I reversed it
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 May 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
I found this:
The instrumentation of Appalachian folk music also reflects its origins. The lead instrument in mountain dance music, as in the reels and country dances of Ireland and Scotland, is the fiddle. The pipes, particularly the smaller, more adaptable Irish pipes, also made the journey west, along with a small, slender, three-stringed instrument which is plucked like a guitar, and eventually came to be known as the Appalachian dulcimer. The development of the instrument was most likely influenced by the German scheitholt, the Norwegian langeleik, the Swedish hummel, and the French épinette des Vosges. These instruments, like the music that was played on them, gradually adapted to their new environment. The dulcimer-also known as the "hog fiddle" or "music box"-was a louder, more robust instrument than its European ancestor. The tuning of the fiddle was also often changed to create the "high lonesome sound" that is associated with Appalachian fiddle music.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mopsy_jay

• RootsChat Member
  • All can use my restores if I ever get good enough!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 May 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
I found this:
The instrumentation of Appalachian folk music also reflects its origins.

Oooo  Thank you Hackstaple! The Appalachians have such a mix of cultures, all blended together.

I know that a relative of this couple is in DAR. I will ask her if she knows the origins of this family.

Many thanks again, Jayne
I have been doing genealogy research for myself & others for many years, just because I love it.

I moved to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina in 2001 and just recently have got into photo restoration.

I am using an older version of Paintshop Pro XI on an even older pc :) & I want to thank in advance all who are helping me on this journey with my new hobby.

Anybody needing NC, VA research, just ask me!

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 May 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
I don't see any problems with the hand sizes, her left hand is the only one turned full on to the camera and it is in the centre of the picture. Being it is their wedding day when this  photo was taken may have some bearing on that fact.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY