Author Topic: Finding the births of Jemima and Margaret Morrison  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Ail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding the births of Jemima and Margaret Morrison
« on: Sunday 18 May 14 05:56 BST (UK) »
Jemima and Margaret are the daughters of Hugh Morrison and Barbara Gunn ( my ggg grand parents).
They married in Eddrachillis ,Scotland in 22 October 1830.
I have been able to find the chr. of their first child George  18 December 1831 in free BDM site.
Have not been able to find his two sisters.

The family immigrated to NSW Australia aboard the James Moran in 1839 ,giving the sisters ages as Jemima 5yrs and Margaret as 3yrs.

Any help would be welcome.

Aileen Young

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the births of Jemima and Margaret Morrison
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 May 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Aileen,
FreeREG has pretty good coverage of  Eddrachillis Records in that time-frame but no Jemima/Margaret.
Georges Baptism is there and the Marriage 1830.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 May 14 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Aileen

Only about a third of events were entered in the Parish Registers around this time, before the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855. It may be that the family had moved away from that particular area after George was born and records for elsewhere were not so good. Also, registers have been lost and destroyed over time.

Always hard to tell why there are gaps in the registers, ie, why you can find one birth but not others, as records in this period were patchy in general.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 May 14 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Aileen,
FreeREG has pretty good coverage of  Eddrachillis Records in that time-frame but no Jemima/Margaret.
Georges Baptism is there and the Marriage 1830.

Trish :)
Thank you for your reply, That is where I found George's Baptism and parents marriage.
Aileen

Offline Ail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 May 14 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Aileen

Only about a third of events were entered in the Parish Registers around this time, before the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855. It may be that the family had moved away from that particular area after George was born and records for elsewhere were not so good. Also, registers have been lost and destroyed over time.

Always hard to tell why there are gaps in the registers, ie, why you can find one birth but not others, as records in this period were patchy in general.

Monica
Thank you for the explanation,I guess I was lucky to have found George's baptism and his parents marriage.
Aileen

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 June 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
The minister writing in the New Statistical Account (1840) reckoned the registers were "carefully recorded" from 1819 (see http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/link/1834-45/Sutherland/Edderachillis/ - choose the non-subscriber option) and the book Key to the parochial registers of Scotland (see https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Eddrachillis,_Sutherland,_Scotland#Established_Church.E2.80.94Old_Parochial_Registers) doesn't highlight any particular issues in the 1830s.

But it was a large, scattered parish geographically which does not help :(