Author Topic: whole family changed names for about 10 years  (Read 559 times)

Offline angelina ballerina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
whole family changed names for about 10 years
« on: Monday 19 May 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
hi
I have my grans mum Hilda Olive Ross born Rotherham 1885. on 1891 census she is still surname Ross, on 1901 census she is surname Stephens, as is the whole family. 1911 census is Ross again. Why would this be? they were from the parish of St Stephens, Rotherham, could it be a case of human error when the forms were filled in?
thanks for any help
angie

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: whole family changed names for about 10 years
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 May 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Could be a mistake by the enumerator when he was copying the householder's schedule into his enumerator's book

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 May 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
My husband's g.grandparents John and Emma did this.  Apart from the 1881 census, they used the correct surname of Dawson, but in 1881 they were using his Emma's mother's maiden name of Howard - not even Emma's own maiden name!!  When they started using this name I have no idea, but I do know that one of their children was registered at school under the name of Howard in 1879.  By 1891 they were back as Dawson.  This was in Manchester.

I wonder if your family or my husband's were in debt and trying to escape the debtors. I've always ruled this out as my husband's g.grandfather had a good and fairly well paid job throughout his life.

Offline angelina ballerina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 May 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
hi
thanks for that info. if they were trying to avoid debtors would they all still be in the same places doing the same things, no address change, just names? surely they would be found if they did that?
angie

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 May 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
I would agree with Stan.... human error was most likely to have been the reason in the absence of any other connection to the Stephens surname as it only appears to have on the one census.
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the census image, sometimes the enumerator gets a little zealous with the dittos! Possiblya Stephens family lived next door or shared the same property.... I've come across this a few times.

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.