Author Topic: Where do I start? Please help x  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Mlig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where do I start? Please help x
« on: Tuesday 20 May 14 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hiya!
I'm new here and a bit clueless really, and I'm looking for some birth records I think, and wondered if anyone could advise me where to start..
To cut a very long story short, we were always told that my grandmother had given birth to still born twins, about the end of the war ish. But for lots of reasons we have reason to suspect that they may have actually been fine and adopted.

How do I search for birth records, or any other info on this please?

And if they were still born, would there be a record of birth and death as there would be now?

Thank you in advance x

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start? Please help x
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 19:53 BST (UK) »
Tricky!

If the twins were indeed stillborn, then they would have been registered in the Register of Stillbirths, but access to this is restricted. Only the parents or the stillborn child's siblings after the death of both parents can obtain information. 

If the twins were born live and then adopted, I think the best bet will be to search for the registration entries on FreeBMD, giving father's surname and mother's maiden name but leaving the first names blank,  registration area (or the county) and a range of years.  If you get hits for which satisfy these parameters, then entries with the same, or consecutive, page numbers could well indicate a multiple birth.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat!

to start with your best place to look is freebmd.org.  its not a complete index of births marriages and deaths but its possible that the information could be on there.  Some pay per view sites also have it on and may be more complete.

if you know your grandmother's married name and maiden name (assuming your grandfather was the father of the twins?) you may be able to pick them up there.  As there is a risk that they could be still alive if they were born at the end of WW2 (or do you mean WW1?) and if it was WW2 we can't post names or anything like that on here due to confidentiality.

Stillbirth registration was introduced in 1927 so if its WW1 there may be no way of finding them other than possibly buried somewhere.

PM me if you are not sure (you'll need to make 3 posts to do it) so reply to this one and reply again with something and you should be able to receive personal messages to make sure any personal information is not out there on the web.

Ruth
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 20:00 BST (UK) »
I've actually done some research on the Still Birth Register, so I can tell you how it goes! ;D

1. Ring (not email!) the GRO, explain what you want, and they will send you a form to fill in. This form is NOT available as a download!

2. Fill in the form and send it back. They will then decide if you meet their criteria, as Still Birth information is only available to direct family.

I wanted details of my mother's twin sister. Mum is no longer with us, so I was able to get the certificate. ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mlig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 May 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!

It's after the second World War, so they should be on the still birth register, and my grandparents are both dead, but my dad is very keen to find out, so I'll pass him th details to check the still birth register :-)
I checked the bmd free site, and found twins with the right surname at the right time, they were listed as birth and death at the same time, but the maiden name is different. It's not an overly common surname so was a little odd.. I'll try the still birth register and I may pm you if that's still ok, thank you xx

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 May 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
I think the number to ring is 0300 123 1837
 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday. Saturday 9am to 4pm).

Your dad will have to prove that his parents are dead, and that he is indeed their son!
But all the details will be provided with the form.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 May 14 16:18 BST (UK) »

I checked the bmd free site, and found twins with the right surname at the right time, they were listed as birth and death at the same time, but the maiden name is different. It's not an overly common surname

Is it possible grandma could have had an earlier marriage? The surname may then not be what you were expecting.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 May 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
Remember that if either baby took a breath, then a birth and death will be registered for the child, it will not be classed as a stillbirth.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 May 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
I've actually done some research on the Still Birth Register, so I can tell you how it goes! ;D

1. Ring (not email!) the GRO, explain what you want, and they will send you a form to fill in. This form is NOT available as a download!

Download the form here
http://tinyurl.com/nw2r3qh
It used to be available on the GRO website but since they redesigned it I do not have a link at present.

2. Fill in the form and send it back. They will then decide if you meet their criteria, as Still Birth information is only available to direct family.

Not correct anyone in the world may apply to the Registrar General for a stillbirth certificate for any stillbirth. The Registrar General will then make a decision based on the reasons given for requiring the certificate whether to supply one or not.
The parents and siblings if the parents are dead have an automatic right to be supplied with a certificate. Anyone else has to have a valid reason for requiring the specific certificate.

Cheers
Guy

PS As a general rule it is often easier searching burial records for still births than applying for a stillbirth certificate, but that really depends on whether a reasonable close date and/or location is known
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.