Author Topic: The Diary of Nathaniel Bryceson Revisited Again  (Read 22416 times)

Offline Nathaniel Bryceson

• I am sorry but my works email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Diary of Nathaniel Bryceson Revisited Again
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 24 December 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I hope this is the right thread on which to post this news...

Nathaniel Bryceson's diary will be published again online, in the same way as before (ie each entry on the appropriate day, throughout the year), from 1 January 2016.

This time it's in a blog format, accompanied by a weekly podcast, and you can follow by subscribing to the blog and/or the podcast or following @VictorianClerk on Twitter. Should you wish, you can add comments to the blog posts themselves.

Here are the links:
- Blog (and podcast): https://victorianclerk.wordpress.com/
- Podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/life-loves-victorian-clerk/id1069837849
- Nathaniel Bryceson on Twitter: https://twitter.com/VictorianClerk

We hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

Ali (on behalf of Westminster Libraries & Archives)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 26 December 15 06:36 GMT (UK) »
WONDERFUL!!!!!!! I am so excited to hear this news. Thank you SO much for letting us know Ali.

It would be great to get some new followers reading the blog, because it's a fascinating insight into Nathaniel's life and times, but also in the hope that we can fill in some of the gaps in our findings from the threads here on rootschat back in 2010.

Would it be possible (or worthwhile) putting in a link to our first (of MANY) rootschat threads on your blog, possibly included in an intro if you have one? There is SO much to read that it would only be of interest to the dedicated or obsessed, but some may find our discussions of interest.

I'm sure everyone at Westminster Archives remembers our obsession with Nathaniel, his diary and his world.

We also have a timeline of events related to Nathaniel and his family (which has been floating around several of the threads over the years). Let me know if you are interested and I will forward it to you.

:)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 26 December 15 14:19 GMT (UK) »
The link here:

https://victorianclerk.wordpress.com/?blogsub=confirming#blog_subscription-3

At the bottom of the page you can enter your email address to sign up to follow the blog via email.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 26 December 15 14:24 GMT (UK) »
From the Westminster Archives site:

The diary existed only in manuscript until 2010, when it was serialised on the Westminster City Council website. To celebrate the 170th anniversary of the diary, this blog is another chance to read of the experiences and innermost thoughts of a remarkable young diarist and gain a rare insight into London life in the early Victorian era.

Each entry will be published on the appropriate day in 2016 – with the first appearing on New Year’s Day. We will also be posting weekly podcasts of the diary entries, read aloud by an Archives volunteer. Subscribe to the blog to receive updates as they appear.

170 years!  :o
It is wonderful that we have the opportunity to revisit his diary again, and to bring Nathaniel and his world back to life. :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 26 December 15 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Ali,

I've just signed up to follow the blog posts, and note that it is not possible for you to mention our 2010 obsession and finds surrounding the publication of Nathaniel's diary.

Would it be possible (or worthwhile) putting in a link to our first (of MANY) rootschat threads on your blog, possibly included in an intro if you have one? There is SO much to read that it would only be of interest to the dedicated or obsessed, but some may find our discussions of interest.
...............   We also have a timeline of events related to Nathaniel and his family (which has been floating around several of the threads over the years). Let me know if you are interested and I will forward it to you.

However I am wondering if you would mind if we posted links to rootschat discussions within our comments on the blog?

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 26 December 15 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Have signed up to the blog and will listen to the podcasts  :). Looking forward to this!
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 27 December 15 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Good to have you on board Sharon.

I'm not sure that the blog/podcasts will whip up quite the same frenzy as the diary did for us on rootschat in 2010, but I really hope they do. We need some new blood and potential new researchers to try to help fill in our blanks. ;)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Yes, it would be great if you could post links to the existing discussions. You can't post comments on 'pages' (eg: Intro to the diary) but you can on 'posts', so the one you might want to start with is the 'Step back in time...' post (https://victorianclerk.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/step-back-in-time-to-victorian-pimlico/). Please note that comments are moderated, so there may be a delay before they appear.

It would be great to see discussion happening on the site itself, rather than all readers having to jump back to this site all the time, but obviously there is a lot of background here so it's a matter of getting a balance between what has been worked through on here already (perhaps the conclusions could be summarised as comments on the WordPress site?) and what new discussions may happen. As each day's entry will be a separate post, it would be great if information and discussions relevant to each entry could be added to the appropriate posts - without giving away too much of what is yet to be revealed - whether or not it will work out like that remains to be seen!

You are probably right that it won't generate quite the same frenzy this time around, but we hope that the new format and the podcasts will prove to be worth revisiting for those of you who enjoyed it so much in 2010.

Ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:36 GMT (UK) »
One thing I forgot to say:

The individual diary entries will be posted in the late afternoon / early evening of the appropriate day. We chose this time, rather than making them live from midnight, as it seemed to be closer to the time than Nathaniel would likely have written them. So you should not assume that something has gone wrong when 1 January's post is not live earlier in the day!