Author Topic: Duncan Fraser &Mary kempt  (Read 6740 times)

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Fraser &Mary kempt
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 June 18 03:16 BST (UK) »
I thought this may be interesting....

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/fraser/2700/

I do own a copy of the Cape North book.  There is actual suggestion that Mary Fraser actually had two marriages as well and it's supported with DNA descendants of both that are suggested to be the same person. 

This Mary Fraser connects with the Kempt/Kemp family of Kemptville, Boularderie, Nova Scotia and with some Fraser families in the Cape North area.  I was REALLY confused for a while via DNA matches.  I'm working on it more tonight and came across this message. 

If anyone is interested I can share more via email.  My email is (*).

Jessie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
Well since my email was edited out, please message me for more information.

I can confirm without a doubt that Duncan Fraser was married twice.  Firstly, to Mary Kempt and secondly to Isabella McKenzie.  Mary Kempt was the daughter of William Kempt and Mary Fraser. 

Currently I'm working with DNA of about 30-40 people to see if the family story that Mary Fraser was married before to my ancestor is true.  DNA looks to support this and if that's true, then Mary Fraser was also married to a Captain John McKenzie from Smithtown, Gairloch.  They had a daughter named Annabella/Arabella McKenzie who married Murdoch Weaver McKenzie.  They were my 4th great grandparents. 

These families heavily migrated to Cape Breton and settled St. Ann's and Boularderie in Cape Breton.  In the early 1850's a bunch of them decided to follow Reverend Norman McLeod and ended up in Australia for a year or so and then onto Waipu, New Zealand. 

I can provide more information if anyone wants to private message me and we can switch to email or something.  I have a few books from Cape Breton that also support the DNA.

Offline Cmbh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 November 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Jessiboo, I am interested that you say you can confirm "without doubt" that Duncan was married to Mary Kempt.

Duncan is my 3x great grandfather and I can only find a record for him marrying Isobell McKenzie.

Looking through OPR records, there is no record for a marriage to Mary Kempt.

In fact searching for all marriage records across all of Scotland for records where the bride's name begins with "Kemp" during 1780-1805 there are no records where the grooms name is either Duncan or Fraser, so I would be really interested to know how you are able to "confirm without a doubt".

If my 3x Great grandfather has other descendants, I would love to be able to include them in my family tree.

Regards

Well since my email was edited out, please message me for more information.

I can confirm without a doubt that Duncan Fraser was married twice.  Firstly, to Mary Kempt and secondly to Isabella McKenzie.  Mary Kempt was the daughter of William Kempt and Mary Fraser. 

Currently I'm working with DNA of about 30-40 people to see if the family story that Mary Fraser was married before to my ancestor is true.  DNA looks to support this and if that's true, then Mary Fraser was also married to a Captain John McKenzie from Smithtown, Gairloch.  They had a daughter named Annabella/Arabella McKenzie who married Murdoch Weaver McKenzie.  They were my 4th great grandparents. 

These families heavily migrated to Cape Breton and settled St. Ann's and Boularderie in Cape Breton.  In the early 1850's a bunch of them decided to follow Reverend Norman McLeod and ended up in Australia for a year or so and then onto Waipu, New Zealand. 

I can provide more information if anyone wants to private message me and we can switch to email or something.  I have a few books from Cape Breton that also support the DNA.

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 November 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cmbh1,

By using DNA I am able to segregate lines of descendants.  Because it's rather close to about the year 1800 when the split in the DNA (a married couple that are common ancestors of all the DNA testers that descend from separate siblings), I am able to find common segments of DNA.  The length of the segment would indicate the likely distance of the relationship along with the total amount of DNA shared on all shared segments. 

For example, children share 50% of their DNA with parents, 25% with grandparents, 12.5% with great grandparents, etc. 

Among the descendants in the family lines, there have been rumours of a double marriage for Duncan Fraser, and going back a bit further, for the mother of Mary Kempt who married Duncan Fraser. 

There is one descendant of Ann Fraser, daughter to Duncan Fraser and Mary Kempt (daughter of William Kempt and Mary Fraser).
There are about 5 descendants of Katherine Kempt, daughter of William Kempt and Mary Fraser.
There are 30+ descendants of Murdoch Weaver McKenzie and Arabella/Annabella McKenzie (daughter of Captain John McKenzie and Mary Fraser).
There are about 5 descendants of Gregor Kempt, son of William Kempt and Mary Fraser.

The common ancestor of all descendants is a Mary Fraser.  At this point we do not know her parents names, but there are connections to MacRae/McRaes via DNA for her and her descendants. 

Mary Fraser married a William Kempt.  The "T" on the end of Kempt seems to have been added about this same time.  I have an article on William's father who married many times and fathered over 20 children. 

Mary Fraser and William Kempt had a few children of which, descendants of Mary Fraser's first marriage and second marriage are matching in extremely large segments. 

Duncan Fraser married a daughter of Mary Fraser and William Kempt and had a few children in the 1790's.  Records for Gairloch do not exist unless they were in records kept by the well to do families.  There are patches of unkempt records all over Western Scotland that simply do not have records at all for that time period.  The Hebrides are a perfect example.

I have been working on the DNA of this group of descendants of these families for about 3.5 years now and have done paper trail genealogy for 24 years and am in the process of becoming certified.  I have more in the way of DNA showing the relationship and paper trails for what is available in Gairloch, Cape Breton, Australia, and New Zealand during the time frame.  If helpful, I have a book from Cape Breton written in 1933 that shows the author then knew of the family connection of the Kempts to the Frasers. 

Actually, as far as I know, we have never been in contact with a descendant of Duncan Fraser and Isabel McKenzie.  It would be interesting if you or anyone in your family that descends from them have been DNA tested.  I'm certain there will be matches between any of you and any of us on these other lines.  I'd be interested in discussing this further too if you would be interested. 

If you read this older post as well, it has more information on it.  I'm in contact with the author too who is a genealogist.  It may give more information you can check on Scotland's People.  (https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/fraser/2700/)

Please feel free to message me and I can give you my email.  I'm more than willing to share everything I have on this small project I'm working on.  It's all to try and tell who Mary Fraser's Frasers are and exactly where our McKenzie line breaks off from the major line.  We have the mutation SNP on the Y chromosome which is considered an identifying marker for Gairloch McKenzie line. 

Let me know if that makes sense or if you have any other questions.  :)

Offline Cmbh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 November 18 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessieboo,
I tried to message you but it says I’m not allowed to send messages.

I’ve just ordered a DNA kit so will hopefully have results early next year.

Regards

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 November 18 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessieboo,
I tried to message you but it says I’m not allowed to send messages.

I’ve just ordered a DNA kit so will hopefully have results early next year.

Regards

Reply to this message and then you can send PMs.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Cmbh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 November 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar 😀

Offline research435

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Duncan Fraser is also my 3x great grandfather, I am descended from his son the second Alexander Fraser who did not emigrate to Nova Scotia. I have researched the family tree over the last 3 years by the use of paper records and now have a tree with 3,973 people in it. I would be interested in sharing my information with you both.
Please contact me through the PM facility

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Please contact me through the PM facility

Welcome to RootsChat :)

To send or receive PMs, you will need to post twice more.  Just saying hello would be sufficient.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch