Author Topic: Duncan Fraser &Mary kempt  (Read 6736 times)

Offline dzj53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duncan Fraser &Mary kempt
« on: Thursday 22 May 14 03:21 BST (UK) »
having  A problem finding out what happened to Duncan Fraser &his wife Mary kempt, William kempt Mary Fraser were her parents, Duncan in 1841 gairloch census has them in sands gairloch, nothing about him in 1851 census, they had 11children which most of them are in nova Scotia,I am new to all this any help would be greatly appreciated thank you Douglas fraser                 

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Fraser &Mary kempt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 May 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
I'm totally bewildered by this - the Duncan Fraser in Sand, Gairloch is married to an Isabella and familysearch shows Duncan Fraser married Isobel McKenzie 8/3/1805 Gairloch.

Nowhere can I find a Duncan Fraser married to a Mary Kempt and nor can I find any children born of such a union.   There a 3/4 trees on Ancestry but all vague to say the least.

What are the sources besides the 1841 census entry you cite which, as already said above, was for Duncan married to Isabella?

Right now this isn't making any sense to me at all, I'm afraid.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 May 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Apologies - I should, of course, have said welcome to Rootschat (where we all like to help if we can).

Which child of Duncan (and Mary Kempt??) are you connected to?   Which ones ended up in Nova Scotia?   Perhaps we can attack the problem from that angle.

Annette

London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 May 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Douglas and Annette

Welcome from me too, Douglas  :)

I think this is the death of one of the children's of Duncan and Mary. An Ann Fraser who looks to have married an Alexander Hamish MacPherson. Likely death details here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2P6-2V3

Marriage for Ann and Alexander showing in Scotland in 1829 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQV-9TY A son's marriage in NS here marriage https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2L4-LRZ?cc=1520608

Struggling to see much more at present. Except as you mentioned, Annette, Duncan shows with an Isabella in 1841 so perhaps Mary Kemp died and he remarried in 1805?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 May 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

I don't think they have the right Duncan.   Unfortunately the online trees give no real sources, with children born in Canada when family supposedly living in Ross & Cromarty. Contradictory facts i.e. some say Mary Kempt, another Margaret.   The latter states she was b.1791 and yet gave birth to Ann in 1797!!! - at least one of them states Duncan died 1841 in Berwickshire!   They seem totally at odds with each other which is why I suggested we take a step or two forward thus working back from the known to try and unravel it.   

When, for instance, did these various children of Duncan and Mary/Margaret go to Nova Scotia.
The trees have them in 2 places at once.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 May 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
I know, Annette  :-\ Hard to connect to records or online trees really. Hopefully Douglas you can add a little more details  :)

Monica

Offline dzj53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 May 14 05:47 BST (UK) »
hello Annette and Monica and thank you so much for helping me, Duncan Fraser, b1871 m Mary Kemp living in sands, gairloch 184 1 census
C-1. Ann Fraser 1797gairloch d 2/17/1871, m, Alexander McPherson 12/25/1829, d, 5/15/1871 cape north N.S. c2. Annabel Fraser 1799 silteag na comraich ross-shire m, john McKenna, both died in cape north,N.S. c3. Donald Fraser 1801, gairloch d. 2/7/1874 Kemp head N.S. m. Isabella McGregor c4. Mary fraser1812 gairloch still living 1851 gairloch c5. Roderick 1814 gairloch d.1892 pleasant bay,N.S. m. Isabella brain c6. Alexander 1821 gairloch (41 census)was living 1866 m. Murdina maclenna 3/10/1853(church record) c7. Margaret 1826 gairloch m. Donald McDonald from ported Skye. C8. Catherine 1826 gairloch, was a widower 1881 Clifton, Ontario m. Robert Anderson 1/10/1850 (twin to margaret ?) C9. Kenneth 1827 gairloch (41 census) d. 1906 gairloch c10.Isabel 1828 gairloch (41 census) d.1906 gairloch(died during snow storm a couple days apart from c.9 kenneth) c11.Alexander 1831 gairloch (41census) m. Murdina McDonald 2/26/1857(vital records 1857. C3. Donald, c1.Alexandre 1825 cape Brenton m.Elean'Or Anderson 5/21/1853 wolfe island, Ontario d. 10/29/1908 Riverdale township, iowa USA. Alex had son donald roderick 1867,wolfe island, his son Donald alexander 6/19/1892, riverdale twps. Iowa, his on carol 1921, Iowa is my father I hope this will help, sorry about delay in getting back to you,douglas

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 May 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Douglas

As Annette mentioned earlier, did Duncan remarry after Mary Kemp? From the 1841:

Duncan Fraser 60 carpenter
Isabella Fraser 50
Mary Fraser 25
Alexr Fraser 20
Kenneth Fraser 15
Margaret Fraser 15
Isabella Fraser 13
Alexr Fraser 10

Address: Sand, Gairloch

The 1841 census is the most limited in terms of info. Relationships within the household were not included and ages for those over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years. For example, the Duncan above showing as 60, could actually be anywhere between 60-64.

From your info, certainly looks like a lot if not the whole family (or at least the children, maybe also parents) headed off to Canada/US?

Monica

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 May 14 17:11 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, Douglas, you haven't mentioned any source that cites 'Mary Kempt or Kemp' as the mother of your Donald Fraser or Duncan Fraser as his father.

I personally do not believe that the Duncan Fraser bc.1781 in Gairloch in 1841 with wife Isabella (nee Mackenzie whom he married in 1805) is the father of Donald - however, even if he was, the children you list from 1812 to 1829 (youngest, Alexander, was actually born 1829) are all children of Duncan Fraser and Isabella Mackenzie!

Unfortunately, parish records for Gairloch pre 1801 do not appear to be on line.   I'm afraid I simply do not have the time to be able to check all the individuals here - have done some looking on Scotlands People for you but can't afford to do any more checks there.   However, I can tell you that Kenneth b.1827 was not the one to die in Gairloch in 1906.   That Kenneth Fraser was aged 89 (i.e. bc.1817) and death certificate shows his parents as James Fraser, Farm Grieve, and Mary MacKenzie!!   You say that Isabel 1828 also died in Gairloch in 1906.   I actually searched 2 years either side of this year and only one entry comes up: Isabella Fraser 82, single, d.5/1/1907 and this confirms her parents to be Duncan Fraser and Isabella Mackenzie.

With no access to online records for Gairloch pre 1801 I cannot, therefore, find Donalds' birth/baptism to confirm his parents names, nor that of his 2 given older sisters Ann 1797 and Annabel 1799.   All the births/baptism of children from Mary 1812 are certainly children of Duncan and Isabella (and not Mary Kemp/Kempt).

Annette
London -  Monk