Author Topic: SEAGER/SEGGAR and VINCE families in Kersey in 19thC.  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: SEAGER/SEGGAR and VINCE families in Kersey in 19thC.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 October 05 23:42 BST (UK) »
Just a rider here to say that I went and had a good look at the Kersey records at Bury St. Edmunds last Wednesday.
Remarkably, I found a "Bastardy Agreement" in the Parish Chest for Kersey which gave details of the events after the birth of the abovementioned William Vince Seager in 1803.
A John Vince, who did not deny he was William's father, was ordered by the local magistrates to pay maintenance of 40 shillings initially, and then one shilling and sixpence a week to Mary Seggar, the mother of his child, towards living expenses, etc.
Hence I suppose that William, b.1803, wanted to somehow perpetuate  both his mother's and father's surnames amongst his children when he married Alice Smith in 1825 and had a generation of children by her.
It was amazing to handle a fragile document - over 200 years old - that referred to my 4-times-great grandparents, even though one of them had been so reluctant to admit his responsibility!  I think this thread can now be safely closed, and thanks to everyone who made the effort to contribute.
Keith

Offline TerryKing

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 September 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,
               I am looking for parents of ISAAC SEGGAR, born 1810 in Kersey, Suffolk, married to
                Harriet Hill
                Familysearch does not go back far enough to reveal this.

Anyone else with info please let me know,    regards, Terry King,

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 September 19 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, Terry,
As you can see, this post was active over 14 years ago - where does the time fly to?  And I really haven't got any further since then with this branch of my family.  Visiting Bury St Edmunds record office might be the only possibility to delve further into the SEGGAR family of Kersey.
Kersey a wonderfully picturesque Suffolk village to visit too...
Keith