Author Topic: "Sudbury House" Harrow 1764  (Read 7553 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Sudbury House" Harrow 1764
« on: Sunday 25 May 14 00:48 BST (UK) »
I have a reference to an ancestor born at "Sudbury House" (in italics in the original), Harrow, in 1764.  His wife-to-be was apparently also born at "Sudbury House" - also in italics for her. Born 1765.  Does anyone know what this was?  I've tried various Google searches & most of the time I get estate agents!  :(

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Sudbury House" Harrow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 May 14 07:14 BST (UK) »

The 1891 census lists a Sudbury House as occupied by Alex McLeod age 60 b Scotland Kirkcudbright a gardener and his daughters

Kay

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 14 08:24 BST (UK) »

The 1891 census lists a Sudbury House as occupied by Alex McLeod age 60 b Scotland Kirkcudbright a gardener and his daughters

Kay

Sudbury House appears to be in a road called Sudbury Grove (Sudbury Hill) in 1891.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 May 14 11:15 BST (UK) »
 :-[  :-[  :-[ 3 embarrassed smileys! There should be more... and I must learn not to post in the wee small hours when brain stops working.  I have corrected the original post - dates were, in fact, 1764 and 1765.  Apologies to Kay & Carol for wasting their time - input was appreciated. A gardening midwife would have been interesting, however!

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: "Sudbury House" Harrow 1764
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
I knew the Sudbury Hill area very well in the 1960's as my gran lived there,but can't tell you much about it in the 1760's I'm afraid  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 May 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
I've found a Sudbury House in Wembley (Harrow proximity) but it's a modern care home and was probably named after the road.  Looks like modern houses all round - unfortunately I can't view it on Google maps as they didn't film that section.  There's also one in Monroe county, NY and another in Derbyshire.
I'm curious about this detail as both he and his wife were born in this 'Sudbury House', at 1 year interval but 2 different families.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 May 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Worth making a note

1890 George sydney Waterlow esq is noted in the County directory

1841 Sudbury Hill House (is that one name for it?)
[ Middlesex, Harrow-on-Hill, District 4 HO107 / 657 / 3 / ..... ]
William Ferrer 46
Mary Ann Ferrer 36

follow the residences . . . .
Pest House
Sudbury Hill House (again) John Brown 70

Could that imply medical use before / after ?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 May 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray, thanks for info.  I found the 1841 Ferrer record - Sudbury Hill House seems to be for the well-to-do: 1 governess and 7 servants.  I can't work out his profession from the abbreviation. I've also found George Sydney Waterlow, living Sudbury House, 1890 Kelly's.  He appears to be listed as a Middlesex magistrate.  1891 census gives a Thomas Darness, schoolmaster, living at Sudbury Hill House, again with 1 governess and 6 servants.  I cant't find George Waterlow in 1891 census - perhaps he died and the house was then occupied by Darness (couldn't find his death on FreeBMD)? Unless there are 2 Sudbury houses, one with "Hill" and the other without.  I found a third on 1862 Stanford map but this was in Hammersmith.

I couldn't work out your "follow the residences...John Brown".  Nor why there might be a medical connection.

As for my ancestor, I don't know the profession of his father, but he did have his son educated at Harrow school, .  lf the house in question was the rather grand Sudbury Hill one, perhaps his spouse to be was the daughter of a servant??? (names are Winkley and Chappell respectively)

Not sure this one is going anywhere fast....

Cheers,
Ray

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 May 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
You can see a Sudbury House on this map of Harrow and surrounding areas: http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345946

Go to the bottom-right corner, then follow Sudbury Hill going north-west towards Harrow. You can see Sudbury Priory, then Sudbury Grove, then Sudbury House all on the north-east side of Sudbury Hill
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk