Author Topic: WW1 training camps in Brisbane  (Read 2240 times)

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 training camps in Brisbane
« on: Monday 26 May 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help with this, please? Although fairly experienced in family history searches in Britain, I've a copy of a letter sent from one of my husband's great uncles in Australia to that uncle's mother i.e. my husband's great grandmother, back in England. The letter was typed (and typewriters weren't generally that great then), and has been photocopied by someone in the family ages ago. Because of the darkness of the background, I suspect that it was also a photocopy of a carbon copy or similar, all of which makes some of it hard to read!

So, the man writing was in the 10/25th Batallion of the Australian Army, and he's writing from the training camp somewhere in the Brisbane area, but I can't read exactly where. My knowledge of Australian geography is almost non-existent, which doesn't help.  However, it says
'Australian Expeditionary Forces'
Then, very unclear, something like 'Frazers(?) Paddock, Enneggers(?), Brisbane'. 

I have a clear copy of his attestation paper, and a record of where he is buried, so it would be great if I could find out exactly what the address at the top of his last letter was. Thank you for any help or ideas you could give me to find out where this man was.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 training camps in Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 May 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
When you say you have a copy of his attestation, have you seen  a digitised version of his full service history?

You not say ww1, but I am assuming this is the war you speak of. Search here using his name.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 00:54 BST (UK) »
G'day

The result of my search reveals the following sites which might provide you with a guide towards WW1 matters of interest and recent events.

Army: Bases - Defence Jobs Australia
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/about-the-army/army-bases/
There are dozens of Army barracks, bases and facilities throughout the ... Below are some of the largest bases in Australia. ... Gallipoli Barracks, Enoggera.

Enoggera Internment Camp | German internees in WWI Australia ...
http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/exhibition/enemyathome/enoggera-internment-camp/
Internees at Enoggera Internment Camp, c.1915. Dubotzki collection, Germany. The Enoggera Internment Camp was located next to an existing army camp in ...

enoggera redevelopment stage one, gallipoli - Parliament of Australia
http://www.aph.gov.au/parliamentary_business/committees/house_of_representatives_committees%3Fur...
for the Redevelopment of Gallipoli Barracks Stage One, Enoggera, Queensland. 2. Gallipoli Barracks is the most significant Army barracks in South East ...

Good luck

EDO

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 04:27 BST (UK) »
So, the man writing was in the 10/25th Batallion of the Australian Army,

If you would like to post his name im sure someone will have a look at the record and see what they find.

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
Wow, didn't expect replies so quickly! Yes, it was WW1, as in the subject line.

Enoggera sounds very close to what I could read and, as it was obviously (from what EDO says, for which, thank you), a huge operation. It's clear from the letter that the man in question wasn't great at writing but, as they came from an English farming family, that wouldn't have been unlikely.

Sparrett, thank you for that link - I'll have a look.  Sadly, like a lot of others, he didn't last long, although longer than some, I'd guess. He enlisted in December 1915, and died in France in July 1916. In his letter, he says he joined because his brothers back in England had. While he died, as did one of his brothers, three of his brothers survived. My husband's grandfather even returned to England with his horse! Thanks for you help, all. I'll now be able to finish transcribing the letter.

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
When you say you have a copy of his attestation, have you seen  a digitised version of his full service history?

You not say ww1, but I am assuming this is the war you speak of. Search here using his name.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/

Sue

Yes, that's the copy I have, thanks, Sparrett.

Offline journalgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 July 21 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello I have just joined this group and saw your request. The WW1 training camp you refer to is in Enoggera, Brisbane Queensland. It originally consisted of 4 x "paddock's" which were :
Bell's
Thompson's
Fraser's Hill or sometimes spelt Frazer's Hill
and Rifle. Enoggera Barracks still operates today as a training camp for soldiers. I joined this group as I am researching an English soldier who seems to have the same enlistment time and death times as well as the same regiment as your soldier. I am wondering if your soldiers name is William James Collyer, service number 4146) I have a typed copy of a letter he sent to his mother in England and he had given his address at the time as Fraser's Paddock Enoggera. I know thousands enlisted and died but I am just curious! cheers