Author Topic: john douglas family  (Read 2429 times)

Offline jimbo13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
john douglas family
« on: Wednesday 28 May 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find my uncle John Wilson Douglas, born Glasgow  Scotland 13.07.1902 his father was William Forrest Douglas . He immigrated to Toronto Canada in 1920's and lived at 1735 Keele St Toronto. He lost his job and then moved to New York city, New York in 1932. Hope someone can help, thanks.
james
douglas

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: john douglas family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 19:38 BST (UK) »
Have you got his marriage in Brant Ontario?

John Wilson Douglas
Birth:Glascow, Scotland  1903
Father    William Douglas
Mother    Mary Gordon
Spouse    Mary Alice Dewar  born  1903
Spouse Birth    W Hartlepool, England
Spouse Father    Thomas Dewar
Spouse Mother    Sussana Lawrence
Marriage    17 Jul 1925
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimbo13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
This John Douglas looks like he is my uncle, after all these years to have some information is great, I would like to thank groom for the information.
james
douglas

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 May 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
The marriage record mentioned above lists him as a blacksmith.  The voters' lists for that area seem to show a John or John W. Douglas who was a blacksmith and married still there in 1935 and 1940. 

I don't see a border crossing to the US that seems to fit this couple, and they don't seem to show up in the 1940 US census.

Offline jimbo13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 May 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
This is great information, was told he moved to New York, but this looks wrong, so I will have a look for him in UK, Thanks to shellyesq for new information.
jimbo13.
james
douglas

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 June 14 02:52 BST (UK) »
This doesn't help with your search, but adding a bit of information about Mr. Douglas in case you are still looking for him...

according to a couple of websites (that I cannot access)

John Wilson Douglas of 569 Spadina Avenue, Toronto was a witness to the marriage of John Dewar who was 22 and born in England, occupation Fireman, address 569 Spadina Avenue.  He was the son of "Thomas Dewar (b. Scotland)" and Susan Lawrance.  John Dewar married Euphemia Munro.  Marriage was in 1927.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 June 14 02:57 BST (UK) »
Interestingly, there is a tree online for John Dewar and they show his place of death as Brooklyn, New York. 

Update:  Ontario Marriages shows her name as Euphemia Munro Colquhoun.

Border crossing for John Dewar and his wife and children on May 30, 1930.  "Purpose in coming and time remaining(?) in U.S.": see work.  Perm.  Destination:  Brooklyn.

Euphemia is shown as widowed on the 1940 New York, Kings County, New York census.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 June 14 04:19 BST (UK) »
1935 voter list for Brant, Ontario
John W. Douglas, blacksmith, Burford
Mrs. John W. Douglas, married woman, Burford
Directly under their names is
Thomas Dewar, labourer, Burford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 June 14 04:48 BST (UK) »
There is a slight chance that I may have found a family member (now deceased) and have sent you a private message.  My apologies if the information is not regarding your Douglas family.