Author Topic: FindMyPast new burnt records?  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast new burnt records?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 May 14 11:12 BST (UK) »
That's a shame Lizzie, hope something eventually turns up (unlikely though I guess).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 May 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
Deidre - The only thing that has turned up recently is a "will" or really a Nuncupative Will, which is a document that has been regarded as evidence of a valid nuncupatitive will made by the soldier named (George Reuben Benson) while "in actual Military Service".  It is a statement made by a fellow soldier 6 months after the death of my g.uncle which said that my g.uncle had said that if anything happened to him he wanted all his property and belongings "to go to my girl". It then gives the name and address of "the girl".  I looked for marriages and found that a couple of years after the end of the war she had married, but I've not bothered to trace her descendants on the off chance that they may have known something about her past boyfriend.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 May 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Lizzie, that's tragic yet fascinating at the same time.

I remember my mum telling me about her mother who was engaged to a chap from Scotland. She heard that he'd been invalided home and made the journey from South Wales to his parents' house in Scotland (what a journey that must have been in 1913), only to be refused entry. She returned home to find that her beloved elder brother - her fiance's best friend - had died while she was away, and then a few days later her fiance died too. What a waste. Luckily, though some years later, my grandmother met my grandfather, or I wouldn't be here.

My grandfather thought he'd never marry having not met anyone before he went away, and having spent 4 years (from age 24-29) serving in Gallipoli etc. I'd love to find his service records (I have a few letters to his sister) but no luck so far.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 May 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
There were so many tragic stories during WWI and, of course, all the other wars although we don't hear so much about them.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 May 14 13:31 BST (UK) »
And on all sides of course; the sad thing is, I'd not even heard the story until I started researching my family tree  :(

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 May 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at FindMyPast as  my grandfather's records are definitely not on Ancestry - and yes, they are there, so I'm about to sign up to see what they've got.

The annoying part about all this is that two people visited Kew for my mother, one in the late 1980s and a second cousin about ten years later. They both came back with photocopies of what was found, but each included some copies of documents not included in the other set. None were burnt in any way. I have spent days trawling through Ancestry in the library,  and have found quite a few mistakes with the WW1 records, particularly cases where several men's are collected together with only one index entry, but no sign of the records I knew existed.
I've always reported the errors I've found - but we all know how long it takes before they correct anything.
Fingers crossed that all the stuff I'm expecting is on there.
Joney

Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Online ptdrifter

• RootsChat Senior
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 May 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies, help and advice. Good luck to all those searching.
Stevens, Pye  East London

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 June 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
have been looking for a while to find my great grandfathers WW1 records,but had no luck have found his brothers.  So when I read the lost cousins article .  I thought I would have a look on FindMyPast but no luck the only ones I found where is brothers.   I was really wishing I would have found his as I have a picture of him in his uniform with 3 dogs that were used to carry messages.  My great grandfather was a game keeper.  He was in the East Yorkshire regiment. 

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 June 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
Another thing to consider is that those records destroyed in WW2 were only the enlisted men not the officers.

Most officers records I have read somewhere, were not held in the same building.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)