Author Topic: Has anybody heard of "Thankerton House"?! COMPLETED -- thank you!  (Read 4902 times)

Offline byline

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody heard of "Thankerton House"?! COMPLETED -- thank you!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 September 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
thanks Monica

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 November 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I just found a Thankerton connection too, but I am not sure which Thankerton I should be looking at. In 1907, John Kilpatrick, age 31, a motorman, married the 19 year old laundrymaid, Jane Knox Baird, there. Jane's father, Robert Baird, was a guardsman - maybe at Thankerton as well? I cannot seem to find this couple after their marriage. I wonder did they immigrate? Thank you!

Mary

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline scudo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 18:55 BST (UK) »
Regarding Thankerton house in Holytown, The house was owned by the Scally family in the late 1950s / 60s possibly much longer than that maybe up yo the point it was destroyed by fire. Mr Scally was at one point the headmaster of Our Lady`s High school in Motherwell, As a youngster we used to play in the grounds of the house with his sons and I was in the house on several occasions.
From memory the house had approx 28 rooms but most of them unused.