Author Topic: Virus heading out  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Virus heading out
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 June 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Doddsie,

I too have Tesco as my ISP and have F-Secure provided through them - I take it that is the Tesco security you are using?

As you will see from my entry on this thread I have also run extra scans using the links which Trystan kindly posted.

Regards
Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 June 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
    Yes, I have Tesco security but I have been doubting if it would stop Rasputin... I'll call him that anyway.     Any idea how much F Secure will charge?      Is it nearer to 40 than 100.
Searching for Bap of Edward Worels born 1826 Hollingbourne, Kent

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 05 June 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
     Selina,
               I just ran a Scan with F-Secure, and they say they have detected no virus or anything, so that is REALLY good.      But that was only a scan.      Do I also get Protection from them?      If so, could you say how I go about doing that part of it?

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 June 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
Did all my machines yesterday, all running clear. (Using link to Microsoft test)
Don't think this is the last of it though, whats to stop us being infected?
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 June 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
We need to keep everything and the moon up to date. Do backups of everything regularly, depending on how often our files change (hope we all do that anyway). Run scans frequently. Not open any e-mail attachments - or at least check who they are coming from......................

Or, maybe,  go for a nice long break and come back in a month's time  :-X

It's like a nasty outbreak of the  Mafia!

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 05 June 14 19:04 BST (UK) »
     So F-Secure isn't like Norton or Reg Cure for example.     They don't prevent incoming Viruses, and don't inform you of it.      They only detect it when you scan for it, by which time the hacker will be inside the computer finding out passwords, bank details, etc etc etc.     Or have I got it wrong?

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 June 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Doddsie,

I am not clear exactly what you mean by saying you have Tesco security.  Tesco uses F-Secure for its customers but you have to opt into it, if you have never done so then you haven't got it or any other security from Tesco.

For many years I paid extra to Tesco for F-Secure but at present they are providing it free until 2015.  If you haven't got it and you contact them they will send you an email with a key code to enable you to download and instal it, it can be used on up to three computers.

F-Secure is a security program like many others, Norton, Avast etc., and will give virus protection etc.,  I have always been satisfied with it.  I believe it has a good reputation.

If you log into your Tesco account and then 'Subscription and Services' you will see 'Products included in your package are:' and it will probably state Wirelss Router and (if you have their security) Tesco Internet Security.

Hope this helps.  Pleased to hear your scan was clear!
Selina
Added:  You should also be able to see Tesco Internet Security listed in the programs installed on your computer and probably an icon in your notification area.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 June 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
I find all the scams and threats online, phone etc., very depressing. 

It gets to the point where you feel you can't trust anything or anyone at all, communications from friends are suspect if there is an attachment, if a site changes (and they do all the time) and looks a little different again you are suspicious.

I keep everything up to date and copy all my family history and photos on duplicate memory keys and external hard disks, plus a hard copy for the fh!

But all this shouldn't be necessary and sometimes I just wonder if it is all worth it!

Selina

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 05 June 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
Selina,

I switched to a Linux desktop over twelve years ago.  :) I also made my parents' computer a linux machine too about eight years ago.

I can see where you are coming from. We live in a world where there are a small minority of very sinister people who prey on the good nature and trust of the rest of us.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.