Author Topic: Virus heading out  (Read 7753 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Virus heading out
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 05 June 14 23:40 BST (UK) »
Trystan,

Yes it is important to remember that these sinister people are in the minority and with care we can hopefully avoid them.

There are lots of very nice people in the world as RootsChat proves everyday!

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 05 June 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
Selina,

Yes, there are lot's of wonderful people in the world - and I think it's especially important that we remember that in our day-to-day lives. It's best to live in hope (and light) than in fear (or worry).

That was one of the very main reasons we set up RootsChat, to stop people using mailing lists.

Mailing lists, where email addresses and personal details (including mother's maiden name) are harvested and exploited, and where the older population are targeted. Generally the older user will use less up to date software too, would be less 'savvy' to the scams of these people too.

That's why we continue to try to protect RootsChatters (and people discussed) by keeping their emails private, why we don't discuss the details of living people.

The uplift of all this is that we can very can happily help each other safely in our family history research without this added worry. 

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 06 June 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
     Selina,
                 Thanks for your help, and I think you've helped me allay my worries about the level of  security I have.     I did as you suggested - I went to Subscription & Services on Tesco, and following your instructions, saw (to my surprise) that I have the Router Wireless and F-Secure.     

I am one of those pensioners who came late to computers and have never really understood the technical side of it.     I seem to have a sort of "mind block" when folk start trying to explain to me via a help line how to sort out any computer problem that arises.      I am fine at digging up info about my ancestors.      That is fun compared to the technical side.

I find it hard to understand how Hackers, Scammers & Fraudsters can live with themselves when they know they are making people's lives a misery.    A couple of years ago, I was taken in by one of them.       It was one of THOSE phone calls ...  "We have noticed your computer is running slow and we think you have a bug and would like to run a test."

The test took over an hour with me sitting there watching THEIR MOUSE ARROW moving here, there, and everywhere on the screen, then at the end of it they said I had thousands of faults, and they said they could fix it for £80.       I fell for it!     

They still phone me all the time, trying to do the same again.     I changed my passwords when I realized it was a scam.      I never listen to them now.     

Thank you so much again for your help!

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 06 June 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
Doddsie,

I am pleased to hear that you have found F-Secure listed with your Tesco package so you should be protected for most things.  However it is still be a good idea to run an additional scan fairly regularly - using one of the links previously given on here.  Belt and braces etc!
Another very good one is Malwarebytes, just make sure to download the free version.

I have XP and Windows 7 - are you using either of these?  If so I will describe how to view F-Secure so that you can see the settings and adjust them if you feel you need to do so.

Best wishes,
Selina

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 06 June 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
i ran the microsoft one that there was a link for  24hrs later it was still running :) I had asked for a FULL scan  had to stop it as it was holding up all my other rubbish.. but after 24hrs and nothing detected I  felt it was ok :)

xin  :)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 06 June 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
    I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.    I used to use Internet Explorer browser but I am on Firefox now.      Selina, is this similar to what you are running?

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 06 June 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again Doddsie,

No I don't have Vista but much will be similar.

Firefox is safer than Internet Explorer.

Whilst F-Secure is included in your Tesco package I think it would be a good idea to check that it is actually installed as I would have thought you would have recalled doing so.

Do you know how to customize your notification area, bottom right of the screen and/or access the list of all programs installed on your computer?

I have to close now but will be back later so you can either post or send me a pm.

Added:  Do you get a tick in a green circle (says this site is safe) at top of page when on here next to a blue icon which is a stylised F?  Sorry near top of screen not on the Roots page!

Selina