Author Topic: 51 Lisburn Rd, Burial Grounds  (Read 15658 times)

Offline Rossy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 51 Lisburn Rd, Burial Grounds
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 December 08 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I just recently received the death certificates of my twin brothers who died in 1955 that i did not know about and was wondering what was at 51 Lisburn Rd.
Thank's for clearing it up .

Offline lchambers94

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, my great-great grandfather died in 51 Lisburn Road and is buried in Glenalina Cemetery in Belfast.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 21:28 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, lchambers94  :)

If you tell us some more about your gt gt grandfather including name and date of death, then we can maybe help you with further information.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
51 Lisburn Road is the site of Belfast City Hospital which started as Belfast Union Workhouse-
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Belfast/

Glenalina Extension is part of Belfast City Cemetery-
Belfast City Cemetery opened on 1 August 1869 and by the beginning of the 20th century, the cemetery was firmly established as one of the largest burial grounds in Belfast. However, more space was needed and, in June 1912, Belfast Corporation purchased 54 acres of the adjoining Glenalina estate from Henry Patterson, extending the cemetery westwards towards the Black Mountain. The first burial in the Glenalina section took place on November 13, 1915 and was officially renamed Belfast City Cemetery. In 1914, a section of the cemetery was reserved for the burial of sailors and soldiers. (Source: Belfast City Council)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!