Author Topic: 1861 census Wenham - Completed  (Read 1346 times)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1861 census Wenham - Completed
« on: Sunday 26 June 05 12:17 BST (UK) »
Can someone please lookup the 1861 census for Rebecca Wenham from Wendy age abt 25 please.
She was working in London in 1871 (see below) and was a servant age 16 at Littlington in Cambs in 1851.
1871 Census RG10/551 f.112 p.19
"Spread Eagle" 66 Limehouse Causeway, St Anne Limehouse, Tower Hamlets, Stepney, London
Thomas RENWICK son unm 23 Publican employing 6 barmen & 1 batman b. MDX Limehouse
Louisa  RENWICK dau unm 17 Publican's daughter b. MDX Limehouse
Rebecca WENHAM serv unm 30 General servant domestic b. Cambs Wendy

Thanks
Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census Wenham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 05 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmel,

Couldn't see her in the 1861 census. Couldn't help noticing that your Rebecca has aged only four years over 20 years! Are you sure they are not two different people?

A Rebecca or Rebekah Wenham married a Philip Tree or Free in Dec. q 1854, Linton 3b/1140, which could explain why she doesn't show up in 1861 (one of them anyway).

Cheers,

Ros
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 05 12:58 BST (UK) »
I think the 1871 age is wrong and should probably read 36 rather than 30.  Maybe the employer filled it in and guessed her age. She was christened 27 Feb 1835 and was 6 in 1841 and 16 in 1851.  I think the marriage to Phillip Tree was one of the Castle Camp Wenhams.  I have come across the name before but cannot find it in my notes at present.   There were a lot of Wenhams at Castle Camps but haven't connected them to our Wendy family.

Rebecca married Robert Ward in London in 1873 and I haven't been able to find any others that would have come from Wendy as is the given birthplace in 1851 and 1871.  I did consider another marriage but found the 1871 with Wenham name.  I suppose I should try the Tree or Free name though
I also have the burial of husband at Linton in 1876 and 1881 census

1881 Census 

Rebecca WARD Head 44 Widow  Wendy, Cambridge Publican     
 Robert W. WARD Son 6 Linton, Cambridge Scholar     
 John F. WARD Son 4 Linton, Cambridge Scholar     
 Eliza ALLEN Serv. 14 Hauxton, CambridgeGeneral Servant     
~~~~~~~~
Leather Gaiter Public House High Street
Hauxton, Cambridge, England
RG11/1662 Folio 20 Page 34 

If she is not in Cambs then I will try for another county between there and London or in London
Thanks
Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 05 13:11 BST (UK) »
So much for my maths - 14 not 4!
By 1881 she says she is 44 - maybe she didn't actually know exactly how old she was ...

I looked at all the Wenhams born in Wendy, 10 in all, but none anywhere near your Rebecca. Sorry.

Ros

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 05 13:22 BST (UK) »
Could I please ask for those that are there.  I am actually descended from one of Rebecca's brothers who was in Australia by then.  I have his parents in 1861 and thought I had family group but don't and still working through the siblings so if you have these handy I could check them off.  We have a family story that some went to America and trying to find if any are missing who could have gone there.

Thanks
Carmel

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
Carmel, have sent a PM.

Actually the name Wenham caught my eye because I have been researching some Wenhams for my cousin. His come from Suffolk, though.

Cheers,

Ros