Author Topic: Guernsey Births  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Welshlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey Births
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 June 14 05:43 BST (UK) »
Connection made, yippee...! - the 81st Regiment of Foot was in Ireland at the relevant time and also the Channel Islands.
If Jethro, aged 40, left the army in 1832, what would he do? He doesn't seem to have returned to the UK as I can't find him in censuses.
Maybe he died leaving Mary free to marry William MARTIN [if they did actually marry]and produce their first daughter Mary MARTIN abt. 1836 in Cornwall.
I think it's his father Jethro senior's death in Somerset in 1845 [but no age given in the GRO]. Findmypast has 2 deaths listed in their index for that year for Jethro EASON - and I assumed it to be a duplication.
Now I just have to find the marriage of Jethro and Mary.  Plod on...   Cheerio, Peggy
WATHEN - Glos & Staffs. TEAGUE - Shrops & Cardiff. PRYOR -Cornwall

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 June 14 06:05 BST (UK) »
Try FreeREG for the Marriage of Jethro Jnrs Parents 1788.
Childrens Baptisms are there 1788-1807
Jethro Snr Baptism 1765 and his Burial 1845 with age + Susanna 1838.
Marriage of Jethro Snrs Parents 1759

Jethro Jnr must have died 1832-1836ish .
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Welshlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 June 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish - I have Jethro snr's marriage & baptism + bap.& burial of his wife Susannah MITCHELL + all their children. Haven't got the nitty gritty details of his burial so will go after that. I'd really like to find Jnr's burial with age [to put icing on the cake], but mostly want Jnr's & Mary's marriage. Will go back & trek through all the Irish sites again.
Peggy

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 June 14 08:38 BST (UK) »
I think it is likely they married in Ireland so an almost impossible task unless you get Ann Martins Birth Cert to establish her maiden name

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 June 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Connection made, yippee...! - the 81st Regiment of Foot was in Ireland at the relevant time and also the Channel Islands.
If Jethro, aged 40, left the army in 1832, what would he do? He doesn't seem to have returned to the UK as I can't find him in censuses.
Maybe he died leaving Mary free to marry William MARTIN [if they did actually marry]and produce their first daughter Mary MARTIN abt. 1836 in Cornwall.
I think it's his father Jethro senior's death in Somerset in 1845 [but no age given in the GRO]. Findmypast has 2 deaths listed in their index for that year for Jethro EASON - and I assumed it to be a duplication.

Jethro's 1832 discharge from the Army was due to ill health, so he may well have died shortly afterwards and not necessarily in England.  He had been suffering from weakness of chest and general debility after a first attack of haemoptysis in Windsor, Nova Scotia in 1825, with further frequent attacks of haemoptysis thereafter.   

The discharge hearing took place in Templemore, Ireland and Jethro was medically examined in Dublin on 17 Dec 1832.

The wives and children may have been based in Ireland or at the Guernsey garrison whilst the regiment was engaged overseas.  One would not expect Jethro's family to have stayed in Guernsey after the 1832 discharge.

The 1845 death of a Jethro Eason corresponds to a burial in Merriott, Somerset on 17 May 1845 aged 79, so presumably the soldier's father.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Welshlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 June 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
Wow, where did you get the information about Jethro's health please?

A friend has just sent me a .jpg file of his military record/discharge document, but there were no details re health, just sign on/discharge dates & length of service.

I wonder why his widow Mary ended up in Cornwall. She and William MARTIN moved to South Wales before 1841, but returned to William 's home town of Penzance by 1850.
Thanks  again to everyone who is helping with this.   Peggy

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 June 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Welshlass link=topic=688981.msg5331779#msg5331779

A friend has just sent me a .jpg file of his military record/discharge document, but there were no details re health, just sign on/discharge dates & length of service.

Does the file you have received go beyond page 1?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 June 14 11:10 BST (UK) »
Lots here on the Easons of Merriott:

www.merriottfamiliesgenealogy.net/eason.htm

Offline Welshlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 June 14 05:40 BST (UK) »
What a useful site, thanks very much. I now have a picture of the EASON clan back to the late 1600s.
I have tried all the [free indices] sites I know for Ireland for Jethro & Mary's marriage, but no success. I'm trying to avoid the expense of more certificatesbuying credits, but may have to go down that track if my sister in law is really keen to pursue that line. I would, but I'm a fanatic, and I think she just has a mild interest.
Thanks again folks.
Peggy