Author Topic: Children of Walter and Martha Steel  (Read 10699 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Walter and Martha Steel
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 August 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Looked over the information and it looks sound, we are pretty much on the same level.

Thomas and Eleanor Turnbull died at Park Broom by the way, Joseph is living there with his family and is on his fathers death certificate as informant

Thomas and Mary, baptized in 1787 are not twins, Mary was 2 years old at the time of her baptism along with Thomas, whom was born in the same year

Betty Steel I think married John Little and had multiple children, cannot find a death date yet.

The marriage between Hannah and William Millican looks to be the correct one, there is no other marriage I can find, but you are right, the death age and year are completely off, which gives me doubts, must be an error. We need to get hold of the original death record, the transcription might be erroneous

I am trying to find a death date for Mary Steel, daughter of Joseph Steel and Ann Ridley, she was born in 1831 at Crosby on Eden and she is living in Hayton in the 1851 census with her brother and illegitimate child John.

You said she married Thomas Ridley, when was this? She must have married between 1851 and 1861 because she is absent on the 1861 census and John is living with his grandmother Ann, a widower

What kind of photographs do you have of the Steele family? I have some photographs of Walter and Martha Steele's son Walter and his wife Frances Miller along with some of his children

I found a baptism at Arthuret for a John Steel in 1697, I am still trying to figure out if he and the John Steel whom died in Stapleton in 1761 are the one and the same person. The Stapleton records only go back as far as 1725, so its likely we will never go back further than 1695, which I have put as an estimated birth year for John, based on the fact his son John was born in 1717, making in 22 at the time of birth.

thanks

Offline Mad_Ho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 August 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info about Thomas & Eleanor.  I wasn't able to find a definitive death index for Thomas.  I would love a copy of his death certificate if you have it (or if you can tell me which index it is - if it's 1839 then I assume Cockermouth or maybe Carlisle).  I have BMD certificates for all of my direct ancestors that I've been able to find indexes for:

Joseph Steel/Ann Ridley (death certs for both)
James Steel/Sarah Harris (marriage cert and death certs for both)
Ephraim Harris Steel/Elizabeth Carruthers (birth certs for both, marriage cert and death cert for Ephraim (again, I've found no definitive death index for Elizabeth)
Amy Steel (birth cert, marriage cert for first marriage to James Mayne Johnstone and death cert). 
Amy actually "married" again, to Thomas William Hine.  I put the word in quotes because I do not believe this second marriage was official/legal.  Thomas was previously married, and it was thought that his first wife (Ellen Marron) was Catholic (my own research backs this up) and wouldn't grant a divorce.  It is not known whether Amy was aware of this, but it certainly caused her financial problems when he died.

Regarding Mary Steel & Thomas Ridley: I couldn't find any marriage record for them, though they are on the 1861 census (surname mispelt as Ridly).  Their eldest child, Ann, is aged 7, so born about 1854, so they probably married between 1851 & 1854.  I couldn't find them on the 1901 census, so possible they'd both died by this time.  I did find a probable death index for Mary Ridley, aged 61, registered at Cockermouth, Jan-Mar, 1892 (birth about 1831), but nothing definite for Thomas.

Regards, Mark.

Offline Mad_Ho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 August 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
Oops!

Forgot... Other than the photo of Ephraim in the Carlisle Journal, I have a photo of my great grandmother, Amy Steel, taken in 1913, with the 3 youngest of her 4 children from her first marriage (including my grandmother, Amy, who was about 5 at the time).  I also recently came across (on another Ancestry tree) a photo of Mary Agnes Steel (1859), daughter of John Steel (1833) & Hannah Gair, featuring her husband, John Lister, and 5 of their children.

Where are you based, if you don't mind me asking?  I'm in North East Lincolnshire, quite a way from the Steel's ancestral grounds of Cumberland.

Regards,
Mark.

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 August 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Yes the 1839 death is his. I will send you the details of it later

By the way, could you personal message me the dates, locations and causes of death from the certificates?

I am currently living where I was born, South Wales, Near Cardiff

Thanks

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
I have sent you an PM Mark in case you missed it  :)

Offline topdion63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 December 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm John Walsh, new to the site today after discussing family matters over Xmas lunch. Found a piece from a couple of months ago about the Steele family of Clifton and Allhallows. Well Arabella Steele was my great-grandmother. Left Cumberland for service in Accrington where she met and married James Walsh on February 8th, 1890 at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Accrington. At the time James’ address was given as 127 Avenue Parade while Arabella, described as a domestic servant was living at 50, Blackburn Road, Accrington.
My grandfather John Walter Walsh was born on April 1, 1893 in Accrington and baptised at St. James Church, Accrington on May 4 that year. Sadly James died in 1906 at the age of 46 from tuberculosis, or as described on the death certificate as acute phthisis.
Subsequently the widowed Arabella moved back to her Cumberland roots and in 1911 married Thomas George Hewitson, a miner from Aspatria who lived at 22, Lawson Street in the town.
The link turned full circle, too, as son John Walter Walsh married Jane Penrice Studholme at St. Mary's Church, Maryport on July 22, 1917. One of the witnesses was Jonathan Steele.
John Walter (always known as Walter) Walsh and Jane Penrice Studholme (always known as Jenny) had one son, my father Allan Walsh who died, aged 96, on New Year's Day 2015.