Author Topic: Assheton of Croston  (Read 15356 times)

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Assheton of Croston
« on: Friday 06 June 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
hi all i'm looking for information on

Sir Thomas de Assheton dominus de Croston and Alice de Lea of Croston and Mawdesley, the manor of Croston and Mawdesley

my 15th great grandfather Birth in Lancashire? , and Death 17 Oct 1407 Buried Lincoln Cathredal

In brass, on a marble: "Hic jacet Thomas de Ashton, armiger Henrici regis, quondam dominus de Crofton; qui obit decimo septimo die mensis Octobris, anno Domini mccccvii. Cujus anime propitietur Deus, amen".

'esquire of King Henry IV and formerly lord of Croston The Ashtons were related to the Winwick family, who held the rectories of Wigan and Walton-on-the-Hill and founded the chantry at Huyton.

"Ashton of Croston," says a note in lord Suffield's MS. pedigrees, "came from Ashton in Craven.

Sir Thomas de Ashton Lord of Croston 17 Oct 1407 is Not to be Confounded with the medieval Thomas de Aston, a 13th-century monk 7 June 1401 the two men are in Lincoln Cathredal

He is not Sir Thomas de Assheton the Alchemist Death 1460 in Ashton Under Lyne, Lancashire, England

So Who is his Father ???

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Assheton of Croston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 July 14 21:15 BST (UK) »

Sir Thomas Assheton dominus de Croston

Father Sir John de Assheton of Mourholm Manor
Mother Emma de Winwick Sister of
Sir John de Winwick rector of Wigan
 and Sir Richard de Winwick canon of Lincoln  ;D

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 July 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about the line from this Assheton to your own is direct ancestry? There were quite a lot of branches of Asshetons, pretty near all over Lancashire, and your inscriptions, etc seem to relate to more than one line. It's very hard to be "certain" so far back, for most families - the records often don't quite link up.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 July 14 01:45 BST (UK) »
i have been tracking my family since 1996 , until my last posting, (The College of Arms uk) agree to the line. as the evedence has been shown to them,
the conection to emma Winwick is a new find for me and are found under the (Will) of john winwick cannon, Huyton
and yes i have the B.M.D records etc, as my proof to my Direct linege to the Asshetons of Croston.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
That's pretty fantastic, so rare that such continuity is proved and possible. So you will be aware, as I stated, of the many different families in Lancashire / Cheshire with the surname Assheton, and the same first names linking through.
I just thought I'd check, as people can get so disappointed when what they thought was "their" family suddenly turns out not to be exactly that, and it often happens with landed / minor gentry families. Not in any way intending to devalue your research. I do hope you find the ones you seek, as you will obviously know, the further back, the harder! Happy hunting.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
I very much agree with what you have said, and that's why we need to listen to the old ones as they hold important keys that unlock those locked doors,
if its worth doing , do it right and stay true to your self and never give up. :)

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 January 15 23:14 GMT (UK) »
More imformation will found on the ashton family ,

Sir John de Assheton of Wolfall in Huyton

In 1354 Adam son of Henry de Wolfall released to John de Ashton the messuage which had descended to him.

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 15 11:01 BST (UK) »
Subject Sir John de Ashton (fl. 1370), military commander Sir Robert Canoll — that is, Sir Robert Knolles — was of Cheshire birth. Sir John Ashton was knight of the shire for his native county in the parliament of Westminster in 1389. He married Margaret, daughter of Perkin Legh of Lyme, ? and was succeeded in the lordship of Ashton by his son. Sir John, who was drowned at Norham This was taken from Wikipedia. .

Subject Sir John de Ashton (fl. 1370), military commander could not have died 1360 as many may think, .

please enter the room Sir John de Assheton of Wolfall in Huyton and tell us who you are..

King David was made prisoner by John de Coupland Thomas de Ashton, who fought under Lord Neville, captured the royal standard of Scotland. Shortly after King David was made prisoner by John de Coupland, variously described as a Lancashire esquire and as a Northumberland gentleman, who was knighted when the king returned from France, but Ashton was still an esquire when, in 1385, he formed one of the retinue of John of Gaunt in his expedition to Spain..

I Sir John de Assheton of Wolfall in Huyton , at the demise of John de Coupland of Mourholm manor, the Will of Sir John de Winwick gives his term of Mourholm manor to me Sir John de Assheton and Emma de Winwick my wife..

i have sons

John
Richard
Thomas 17 Oct 1407
daughters
Emmot
Margery

Emmot married (about 1396) John de Cowdray of Wolfall in Huyton or John de Wolfall of Huyton
John married (about 1396) Emmot daughter of John de Ashton, the latter paying £20 and assigning the lands he had bought from Adam de Wolfall
Henry IV., 1404–5.

Margery daughter of John de Asshton, of Wolfall
Thomas del More, of  Liverpool, and Margery, his wife, Christopher de Broghton and Elizabeth, his wife, Sir John de Dalton, chivaler, Margery, daughter of John de Asshton, of Wolfall, Margaret, widow of Elias de Bradshaw, Henry, son of Adam de Bretherton, Sir Richard Kirkeby, chivaler, William de Tarleton, Robert Faseacrelegh and Ellen, his wife, Gilbert de Standissh and Joan, his wife, John, son of Sir John de Holand, of Thorpwaterville

In 1354 Adam son of Henry de Wolfall released  the messuage at Wolfall in Huyton which had descended me..

do you remember Cawthorne ,  The Journal of Nicholas Assheton: Of Downham
thomas ashton of Cawthorne near dams house , you will find sir john de kirkby at Cawthorne..

thankyou for your time Sir John

* The Assheton inquisition * .

mors non est finis

Offline Sir Ashton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
to correct the last post

you will find Sir John de Dalton at Dalton , Sir john de kirkby is at kirkby as we all know.

Cawthorne was not meant here , no intent to mislead sorry