Author Topic: Can ANYone Help me Please. Martin Romany/Traveller Family  (Read 9204 times)

Offline mongrel5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can ANYone Help me Please. Martin Romany/Traveller Family
« on: Friday 06 June 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am hoping anyone can help me in my quest to uncover the validity of an old family tale. My grandmother Violet Stanton said once that we were of gypsies, Romanys, her maiden name is Martin, Before I go into specific details I just want to make sure of something. Does anyone know of, is related to or descended from any Martins who they know to be Romany, I keep seeing the same old names Ayres, Gorman, Price, Lowther, Smith, Boswell, etc but the only single time ive seen on rtfhs where its listed as being a name in the index of a book I think. Lots of things fit, such as being listed as Hawkers, and Pedlar on the 1901 and 1911 census, and going further back as Agricultural labourers, but I am also aware that these occupations were also done by gorjas as well. Please any help would be great, really struggling to validate the romany link but would like to very much. Thanks in advance for any help!

PS. I am friends with some Romanys who are going to Appleby tomorrow called Gill, that is also a name I haven't seen or heard much of, so I remain hopeful.

pps. I realise that by looking into marriages and finding maiden names I may be able to solidify the link by looking for common traveller names, but I have been unable to find any other than a Bardon.

Regards

Mick

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can ANYone Help me Please. Martin Romany/Traveller Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 June 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I think you have validated your Romany roots all the surnames are Romany or Gypsy, you may never find them recorded as a Gypsy in a census, perhaps a parish record is what you seek, Smith and Boswell I would of thought you would find as a Gypsy, Price is usually a Welsh Romany surname, the other surnames could well be English Traveller other than Romany they died inter marry, but I think your surnames do point towards Romany, hopefully another member will be able to help you.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 June 14 17:41 BST (UK) »
I have gills in my ancestry. my granddad was a gill, they were all from Derbyshire. I have not been able to pin them down as romany though I wish I could,havent been able to find very much at all on his side of the family. it is my grans family who are romany.
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 June 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

The only Gil I have come across is a record for a baptism of Henry Gil on the 25 February 1698/9 at Scalford the son of Kathrine and ? from a Leicestershire County Council Parish record the ref is DE2500/1, you would have to contact them if you wanted any more info such as from what parish church the record was extracted from, also if you have not done so already look at other spellings of the surname such as Gyl or Gils you never know, hope you find what you are seeking all the best.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 June 14 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi. Mick. R.k. has covered most likely links. But there are travelling folks called Barton. Lived around Cumbria. And northern England lots of them. Miss spelling of surnames was all too easy back then. So bardon may be a miss spelling. From what you have on surnames I think there is a link somewhere. To romany/travelling folk.as a thought my father used to talk about a old man called papa Gill.  way back.i never saw him as I think he died before I was born. So at least 60 years ago.  Good luck with your search.   Rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 June 14 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick,

can I suggest you visit your nearest Library and see if they can get hold of a copy of "A Romany in the Family" by Bob Dawson for you to borrow.

It was published in 2005 and in it Bob lists all the surnames he's seen in written material over very many years where the record relates to the Romany/Gypsy/Traveller community.

He shows on page 92 the surname MARTIN from 1569 to 1891 (the last census that was available when he was compiling the book I think) in the counties of BRK,LDN,LEI,NBL,NTT,SRY,WILand YKS.

If you read the book you'll understand what these references mean and how to research further.

Hope this helps.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 June 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
There are definately Romany Gills!My mums best friend growing up was a Gill and her father was a proper old Travelling man,they were in Kent.Also Romany Bartons in Kent,sometimes known as Barden/Bardon!

Offline Freesoulboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I also have the surname Martin which goes back to my great grand parents and beyond. I have found out that they originally came over from Ireland and settled in London. The Martin surname is a very popular gypsy/traveler name in Ireland and the original family being quite a size. I would I interested to chat with anyone with this name.
Thanks

Offline Eddie Martin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 19:55 GMT (UK) »
My father people are all Martin's and I'm a Martin also.Originted from Ireland Ballinsloe co.Galway  But Alot moved to Birmingham UK.Most is in Ireland we are all travelers the Martin's are.If I can get some first names I might be able to help.