Author Topic: East Grinstead Burial Registers (1599-1900)  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: East Grinstead Burial Registers (1599-1900)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 July 18 09:01 BST (UK) »

Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for replying to my Post re: Queens Road Cemetery, East Grinstead.

I am so pleased to hear that the Cemetery is going to be looked after. I would be most interested to visit, and will give some thought as to when might be possible. (I am in SW Hertfordshire).

Which part of the Cemetery is Amelia Pattenden's grave located in? (I have a map of the Cemetery, showing the different areas). I also found that a 5yr old Granddaughter of Amelia Pattenden, (Surname DYER) was later Buried in the same grave. (I will look out the Christian name and date later).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:05 BST (UK) »

Amelia Pattenden's, (Neč Dearling) Granddaughter, who is Buried with her, was:

Charlotte Mary Dyer,  child of William and Ellen Dyer, Born East Grinstead 1873, Died January 1878, East Grinstead, Age 5yrs.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Sarah Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cemetery Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

Not a problem - happy to help! Once you know when you want to visit, get in touch and we'll get something arranged, I'm fully expecting it to be a challenge locating the grave sadly with the current overgrowth but we'll find it I'm sure. Amelie's grave is in 'Section A' of the Cemetery.

I can confirm that Charlotte Mary Dyer aged 5 is indeed with Amelie, she was buried on March 21st 1878 - she is noted as 'carpenters daughter' - As you will appreciate the italic writing is hard to read but Charlotte's location of death looks to be 'London Road, East Grinstead, Near Imberh. Nursery' (I'm guessing this maybe Imberhorne but i cant say for definite.

I have no past experience with East Grinstead so i'm learning rapidly to get up to speed with the Town's vast and amazing history - i gather there are some "people of note" from historic East Grinstead but i also want to learn more about everyday life stories too  - everybody counts  :)
As the new Cemeteries Officer for East Grinstead i am really passionate about learning some of the history of those laid to rest particularly at Queens Road Cemetery in addition to any old photographs of the cemetery itself.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:31 BST (UK) »

Hi Again Sarah,

Thanks for confirming the dates for poor little Charlotte Dyer. Yes, it would have been Imberhorne. William Pattenden's, (husband of Amelia) family owned land around there.

For some reason, William Pattenden is Buried in the Churchyard of St Swithun's Church in the High Street, East Grinstead, but Amelia isn't with him. (William's grave is the first gravestone nearest the church door). Amelia Pattenden Died in the Sackville Almshouses, (also in the High Street) and I gave them a copy of William Pattenden's Will a few years back now. They are also on my list to visit when I come to East Grinstead!

Best Wishes,
Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Sarah Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cemetery Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

Not a problem - glad to have been able to help a little. 

Kindest regards,

Sarah
As the new Cemeteries Officer for East Grinstead i am really passionate about learning some of the history of those laid to rest particularly at Queens Road Cemetery in addition to any old photographs of the cemetery itself.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

All chatters are grateful for the time local authorites give to help us with our searches, especially as there are now far more time and financial constraints for you than in years gone by.

As you can see, this topic was started way back in 2014. Old topics are never removed as internet searches bring new chatters to us every day.

As long as chatters email addresses are kept up to date, chatters who either start or join in with topics should receive email notifications of new replies and hopefully come back soon if they have be away from here for a while.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Sarah Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cemetery Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 July 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

Not a problem - i'm more than happy to help with looking at burial records - As you have so astutely put it, being the only Cemetery Officer for East Grinstead means time is not always on my side!  Unfortunately we have to charge for lengthy research (that likely involve me donning old clothes and rummaging through basement archives) but this charged in half hourly units.

For anything else simple where i have at least an approximate date of death and an idea of name i'm happy just to take a brief look.

In addition to contacting our local museum (on my "to do" list) would you know a good starting point for me to obtain photos of the cemetery and learn about those buried at Queens Road? It probably sounds incredibly sentimental (which i'm afraid i am!) but it saddens me having all of these records and having no clue as to the stories behind the names.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 July 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
One suggestion would be looking through local newspapers to see if there are any newsworthy deaths resulting in a burial with you (mayors, councillors, well-known/respected trades people, tragic accident victims)

Could you ask your local studies service for help with this (pull strings)?

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisure-recreation-and-community/history-and-heritage/local-studies-in-libraries/

West Sussex library service does give access to some family history sites but not the British Newspaper Archive which is a stand alone site or accessed through a FindMyPast personal, not library, subscription although it is listed as being available at the library  :-\

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/libraries/elibrary-electronic-library/einformation-the-online-reference-library/family-history/

I'm not 'local' so can't help with anything more specific, but you are more than welcome to start a new topic on the Sussex General board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/sussex/

our topics are indexed very quickly by internet robots and anyone searching for the search terms you have used will be directed here.

As explained before, we don't ever delete topics unless they breach our guidelines for posting.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 July 18 15:05 BST (UK) »

Hi Sarah,

When I first started looking at the East Grinstead side of my Mother's family, someone did send me some grave inscriptions of Pattenden Graves in the Queens Road Cemetery. Unfortunately I haven't saved the sender info, but I'll copy what I have here if that is of any help:

George Pattenden Grave Photo
All the legible names shown on the George Pattenden grave monument
(GPR grave number 133107 - image name 3579)
Queens Road Cemetery
East Grinstead
Sussex
England   full name   age   birth year   burial year   relationship
George Pattenden               
Jane Pattenden         1939   daughter of George Pattenden   
Sarah Simmonds   83   1867   1950   daughter of George Pattenden   
Sydney H Simmonds            son-in-law of George Pattenden   
Harriet Mary Pattenden   93   1872   1965   daughter of George Pattenden.

I found the Local History Museum in East Grinstead very helpful when I first visited, but on further visits they always seemed to be closed. (I do hope that they haven't closed down altogether). They helped me to locate 'The Old Pest House', where my GreatGrandmother Frances Dyer lived when she was a child. It was originally an isolation cottage, for cases of scarlet fever, etc, but by the 1860's had been sold off as a private dwelling. It's still there, but now a Grade 2 Listed house:
https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101277609-pest-house-east-grinstead#.W0ddW9VKi6I
I also have a photo of the model of it; which was part of a display at the Museum there.

I also found the Felbrigge Family History Group very helpful, and they sent me some info on my 6xGreatGrandfather William Pattenden's Brewery; which I still have somewhere...

I also had much help from the Administrator at The Sackville Almshouses in East Grinstead High Street, and from St Swithuns Church, also in the High Street.

As Dawn suggests, if you Post on the Sussex Board on here, under a title such as 'Were any of your ancestors buried at the Queens Road Cemetery in East Grinstead?', I'm sure that lots of people will tell you their family stories! After lots of detective work, and much help from on here... I was able to follow my Pattenden family back to Jeremiah Pattenden in 1604, although I'm stuck with some of the Dyers...(!)

I can certainly pass on to you the info that I have on Amelia Pattenden and her Granddaughter Charlotte Mary Dyer, Buried together in the same grave at Queens Road Cemetery, if you would like it.

Best Wishes, Romilly.   

Researching: