Author Topic: East Grinstead Burial Registers (1599-1900)  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: East Grinstead Burial Registers (1599-1900)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 June 14 15:38 BST (UK) »
Is this the source?
http://www.parishchest.com/east_grinstead_st._swithun_parish_registers__P93595
cd produced by the Parish Register Transcription Society

Dawn, - I've searched the online Site for St Swithins Burials, and Amelia Pattenden doesn't seem to be there. (Although there seems to be space left on William's Gravestone, - perhaps he intended her to go there too?)

I've also emailed Sackville College Almshouses to see whether they would have arranged Inmate's Burials in 1869...

And so there aren't many stones that I've left unturned!  ;)
But it would be good to find the one for Amelia, - (if she had one).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 June 14 15:47 BST (UK) »

Like most PRTSociety transcripts, those for East Grinstead are available online, at modest price.

http://prtsoc.frontisgroup.com/bin/index.php

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 June 14 15:51 BST (UK) »

Like most PRTSociety transcripts, those for East Grinstead are available online, at modest price.

http://prtsoc.frontisgroup.com/bin/index.php

Thanks for that Bookbox.

I've filled out & submitted the form for the LDS, - but if I draw a blank with that, - I will try them.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 17:17 BST (UK) »

I have today recieved a copy of the Parish Register Burial Details for my 4x G/Grandmother, Amelia Pattenden from the LDS.

I'm very impressed, - no charge, & very quick!

Unfortunately, Amelia is buried in the (closed) Queens Road Cemetery in East Grinstead. (£15.00 for a 'supervised visit').

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 17:44 BST (UK) »

I have today recieved a copy of the Parish Register Burial Details for my 4x G/Grandmother, Amelia Pattenden from the LDS.

I'm very impressed, - no charge, & very quick!

I am amazed how quickly you received it.  It is good to know that they are still responding to these queries.

£15 for a supervised visit, that is disgusting.  I know these cemeteries need preserving and maintaining but that much to visit a dead relative. On the plus side at least it is being looked after.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 18:11 BST (UK) »

Hi Rosie,

The sad thing is I don't think the Cemetery is being looked after:-(

The gates are padlocked, but apparantly it's on a very overgrown slope, and many of the graves are difficult to locate... Vandals have destroyed some gravestones, etc...

And so even if you pay the fee, - there's no guarantee that you'll be able to locate your relative's grave.

I remember a similar situation with the Nunhead Graveyard in SE London, but believe that it was resolved by the creation of a 'Friends of' Society; which did a general clearing & maintenance job. It's a shame that East Grinstead don't have a similar scheme.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly

I am sad to hear that it isn't looked after. So many graveyards are unkempt and vandalised, then there are those that the powers that be authorise to be dug up.

I have a gt gt g'parent in Nunhead but have never thought of establishing where he was buried, I doubt he had a headstone. Maybe one day I'll visit.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly

I am sad to hear that it isn't looked after. So many graveyards are unkempt and vandalised, then there are those that the powers that be authorise to be dug up.
I have a gt gt g'parent in Nunhead but have never thought of establishing where he was buried, I doubt he had a headstone. Maybe one day I'll visit.
Rosie

You can look here, Rosie:

http://www.fonc.org.uk/gravesite-search.html

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Sarah Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cemetery Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 July 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

I am the Cemetery Officer for East Grinstead Town Council (my e-mail address can be found on our website) i randomly came across your post while researching Queens Road Cemetery (particularly for old photographs) to assist in seeking extra funding to support a "Friends of East Grinstead Cemeteries" group which i am keen to set up. Whilst i can assure you that none of the graves have been vandalised, the cemetery is indeed currently closed due to health & safety issues caused by overgrowth and wildlife. However, I am more than happy to arrange a time for you to visit with me (at no cost) during working hours. I thought you may also want to know i was able to locate the grave number for Amelie by searching through our burial records - number 266 and as you correctly identified she was laid to rest on the 1st of May.

I have only been in this role for 6 months but i am immensely passionate about restoring Queens road and maintaining it for future generations - its part of our heritage and needs to come back into the community  :)

If i can help further please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
As the new Cemeteries Officer for East Grinstead i am really passionate about learning some of the history of those laid to rest particularly at Queens Road Cemetery in addition to any old photographs of the cemetery itself.